517th PIR camo helmet original or not ?

BigAngel

Hello everyone, according to you this helmet of the 517th PIR camouflaged Operation Dragoon is it original or not? He has his liner and his typical chin rest.
I need your help, thanks in advance!
Sincerely,
BigAngel.

post-172156-0-64570500-1521288232_thumb.jpg

post-172156-0-61357600-1521288251_thumb.jpg

Hello, no sorry these are the only pictures I have. I especially wish avori opinions on the originality of the camouflage (or not) and the chin rest.

Sincerely,

BigAngel.

Patchcollector

That's a neat looking piece.Looks like it was painted with the net on.I also collect gemstones and the net "shadow" combined with the multicolor paint job reminds me of Ammolite ^_^

Persian Gulf Command

My comments here are conditioned on the opinion of the experts but here is my observation. This helmet shows a great deal of rust, weathering, and apparent field usage. There is something about the tone of the paint that is "off" to me. I feel the tone of the paint is too fresh and clean, exhibiting very little soiling, patina, and or oxidation. I am most troubled by the camo paint near the top of the shell as it has the same look as the more "protected" areas near the rim.

I concede that photographs almost never show there subtle differences apparent in paint tones so this helmet may be period. Most likely would need to be an in hand inspection along with the use of some close magnification of the paint and its chips.

I don't like it. I don't like the good fixed bail(but I'm not a helmet collector), I don't like repaired bail, and I don't like the wear/paint mentioned above. I don't collect M-1s though I have a couple.

If the 517th started at generally the same time as the other Tacoa groups I would hold the same torch to this as any 506 or 501 helmet. Nothing says airborne helmet, the paint says "Dragoon" but the repair to the bail would have to have been done prior to the paint. Possible but that would require even more assumptions about training damage or earlier damage in Italy. That's all fine but without provenance this all weakens the story.

Also the interior corrosion indicates a very specific set of storage circumstances that preserved the webbing and paint while allowing the deep rust on the exterior.

Just doesn't check any boxes for me.

JMO,

Dave

I have no additional information, this helmet is proposed to me but impossible to have it in hand because it is in another country than mine... I share the opinion concerning the conditions of storage ... strange !

Sincerely,
BigAngel.

The good bail is definitely a reproduction. Where the paint is missing on the rim, it looks like it was scratched off. With sand paper or something. I think that the liner is original and they tried to make the helmet condition match the liner. How is there no corrosion on the chinstrap buckles? I say this one is fake. It's like they tried too hard to make it seem legit.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Patchcollector

Just wanted to add that I like this helmet.To me it shows what appears to be some honest aging and wear.But I don't collect helmets and don't know much regarding them(but through this Forum I'm learning!),so I'll bow to the seasoned collectors opinions.I await the verdict with interest.

I don't get the feeling the helmet and liner are a match - How did the paint get worn off on top? - Take off the netting?

I also see two different colors of green? I agree that pictures of the outside of the liner are needed to confirm the rust on the inside of the shell shows on the liner - too many questions and need this one in hand to confirm

Burning Hazard

At first glance, I'm not a fan of the chinstraps. Note the heavy wear on the webbing but the buckles look unworn? Also if the shell is corroded then the buckles should be as well; chinstraps would dangle, get dinged, and be exposed to the elements. I'm pretty certain the chinstrap is not original to the shell.

Pat

post-8715-0-63779000-1521300041.jpg

Burning Hazard

Here is an example of what real field worn chinstraps should look like attached to a rusty shell.

Hooks are brass

Buckle is steel

post-8715-0-27785100-1521300342_thumb.jpg

There's some serious issues with this helmet.

Sorry to OP but I'd have to agree with Burning Hazard on this. My main concern are the bales actually, and the chin straps. If you ask me these are repro parts.

If you had intentions of buying it, don't.

It is what it is.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts here. They confirm my doubts about the authenticity of this helmet. The greatest caution is required.

Sincerely,

BigAngel.