3 WWI Bullion Halfwings for Discussion: One I recognize, One I don't and One an English Observer?

Jayhawker353

Jayhawker353

Another three bullion wings, these Halfwings being two Aviators and one Observer. The first, "Halfwing A" I believe to have the same origin as Morris' WB-30, which he notes was worn at Issoudin, France. The only difference is in the "US" letters, which these have been braided. I believe it is an authentic wing. What do you think?

Halfwing A:

post-155250-0-71661200-1521237513_thumb.jpg

Jayhawker353

Halfwing B is one that I don't see similar examples of in my reference materials. Initially I felt a little skeptical of this one.

post-155250-0-01700600-1521238036_thumb.jpg

Jayhawker353

The third, while different than the standard English made observer wing has similar materials to the RFC Observers Wing. I know I have seen another one with that gothic O for sale before, but I can't place my finger on it. I didn't see it in books. I believe it's all right. Anyone else recognize this?

Halfwing C:

post-155250-0-93744500-1521238492_thumb.jpg

I suspect they are all OK. The last one is a beauty. The middle one has some minor issues that may give me pause. But all in all, I don't see too much that would give me heart burn concerning these wings.

Add my voice to the chorus.

A & C are wonderful wings. B is a little sketchy, but might well be OK.

Chris

I HAVE HESITATED TO COMMENT ON WINGS OVER THE PAST YEAR OR SO UNLESS I FEEL CERTAIN ABOUT MY OBSERVATION. WING B I WOULD PUT IN A SEPERATE CASE AWAY FROM MY ORIGNIAL BADGES AND CALL IT EXTREMELY SUSPECT. WHY YOU ASK, THE CONSTRUCTION FOR STARTERS IS CRUDE AND NOT ANYWHERE UP TO THE STANDARD OF ORIGNIAL WINGS, THE SEVERAL STRANDS OF BULLION NEXT TO THE US ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE SHIELD ARE DARK, WHILE ALL THE REST ARE BRIGHT, NOT THE WAY BULLION TARNISHES. THE STRANDS FORMING THE TOP OF THE SHIELD ARE PIECED TOGETHER, NOT ONE LONG STRAND. THE BULLION IN THE SHOULDER OF THE WINGS SHOWS BREAKS AND IRREGULAR TONING. THE BORDER "BEADING" HAS BEEN STRETCHED AND PULLED ALONG THE SHIELD AND ACROSS THE TOP OF THE WING. AND THE BACKGROUND MATERIAL ESPECIALLY THE COLOR BLUE HAS BEEN SHOWING UP RECENTLY, IN ALL THE YEARS I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT WW1 WING BADGES I HAVE NOT ENCOUNTERED THAT BLUE BACKGROUND UNTIL RECENTLY. ON THE FADED BLACK BACKING MATERIAL IT FADES TO A PURPLE NOT BLUE. I KNOW OTHERS WILL SAY I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HECK I AM TALKING ABOUT BUT IN MY HUMBLE OPINON THIS WING PROBABLY DATES TO JUST A COUPLE YEARS AGO AT BEST. WHEN ONE FINDS A BULLION WING WITH INCONSISTANT COLOR IN THE TARNISH IE ONE OR TWO STRANDS DARK NEXT TO A BRIGHT STRAND YOU CAN ALMOST BE SURE THAT BADGE WAS MADE FROM BULLION EXTRACTED FROM A NAVY RATE OR SOME OTHER BULLION BADGE.

TERRY