1920's China Marine motorpool

Bob Hudson

I picked up a small collection of pre-WWII photos of Marines in the Phillipines and this was with it, but it doesn't look like the PI: it appears to have been a little chilly. Here's the photos and then some closeups to show some details of the "uniforms" As with the PI photos, this shows that the Marines were not always into uniformity in the pre-WWII years:

truckmarines1.jpg

truckmarines2.jpg

truckmarines3.jpg

truckmarines4.jpg

I love the 'crusher' cap look on those 'salty' NCO's/Privates!!!!

Having spent some time in "PI" myself, I can say that there are parts, esp in the moutains, that do get 'chilly', for those who are used to the temps being 100 plus every single day..a drop to 70 is cold!

One of my co-workers, OIF I vet, told me that in October, when the temps dropped to 80 degrees in something like 2 days, (they were used to 116 or so in the shade), they were all breaking out as much 'cold weather' gear as they could find and scrounge.

80 degrees...and they were SHIVERING.

Just food for thought :)

Bob: Consider the Peking Legation Guard in the Quartermasters area a possible match for this group. Looks like the late 1920's. They had autos.....Dirk

• 3 months later...
Bob: Consider the Peking Legation Guard in the Quartermasters area a possible match for this group. Looks like the late 1920's. They had autos.....Dirk

I revisited this one and found a 1927 photo of Gen. Smedley Butler's Packard Touring car in Tientsin:

chinapackard.jpg

I looked at lots of photos of mid-1920's Packard Touring cars and that one behind the Marines sure seems to be one. This certainly would not have been a cat any of them could have owned and whomever was assigned such a car must have been pretty high up on the pecking order. I think these guys gathered around for the photo because of the bigwig's car, not just for the sale of having a group photo.

See if you can zoom in on the grease cap on the front wheel. There you will usually find the logo of the manufacturer. There appears to be one in your photo, but I cannot see it well enough to say what make.

Well, we will never know just where this pic was taken, but it most certainly is not the Philippines! It does look like the late 20's or perhaps very early 30's.

Looks like a lot of private purchase clothing being worn here.

CB

Well, we will never know just where this pic was taken, but it most certainly is not the Philippines! It does look like the late 20's or perhaps very early 30's.

Looks like a lot of private purchase clothing being worn here.

CB

Well about the only place enlisted Marines of that era could afford private purchase - or get away with wearing it - was China.

Guest Bodyman
post-214-1182235446.jpg

I looked at lots of photos of mid-1920's Packard Touring cars and that one behind the Marines sure seems to be one.

That car is not a Packard but is instead a 1930 or 1931 Ford Model A Phaeton - hard to get any closer on the year from that pic (but it is most likely it is a 4 door as very few of the 2 doors were ever made).

I learned how to drive on Model A's and thanks to Dad have been restoring them since I was about 10. I presently own a 1929 Phaeton but the 30/31's are a complete body change and have a style all their own. They are, however, quite similar to some of the higher end cars of that early 30's era, especially Lincolns as they were both designed by the same team which was headed by Henry's son; Edsel. If any car should have been named after him it was the Model A as he was probably most responsible for it coming about. Anyway, that is defintely a 1930 or 1931 Model A Ford.

Regarding the clothing these Marines are wearing, it is all issue gear for men on this type of duty, not 'p[rivate purchase'. Coveralls, parkas, with visor hats etc were the uniform of the day. We're just used to seeing photos of the 20's & 30's taken in dress or service uniforms. My guess is Quantico in the winter.......just my guess!

Semper Fi.....Bob