USN MK2 KA-BAR - Tang Marked

Papas-Toybox

Papas-Toybox

Got another one for you all! Picked this up a couple days ago and cannot locate anything online or in my books that will help me identify an approximate time period for this knife other than WW2. When I purchased it, it came in a leather M6 sheath. Any info is appreciated.

post-164320-0-55616000-1521205550.jpg

post-164320-0-82521900-1521205559.jpg

post-164320-0-42415800-1521205568.jpg

post-164320-0-51478000-1521205577.jpg

Are you sure the sheath is M-6? If the knife was issued with a leather sheath it might help you date it. Most Navy Mark 2's have a gray plastic shealth similar to the M8 sheath. I believe some early Mark 2's might have had leather sheaths much like a Marine Corps K-bar. Either way a Navy Mark 2 would not have been issued with a M6 sheath.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

24% of my guard marked USN KA-BAR MARK 2's have the thick pommel and rectangular peened tang. I don't know any exact production numbers of the thin pinned pommel vs the thick peened pommel.

I was curious, as I'd been told that they were rather rare. Like a few things that may depend on location. I know that Camillus made the change to thin pinned pommels before their first Marine Corps contract in late 43. By the end of the War both Union Cutlery and Robeson were also making them that way. But I don't recall any details about dates.

Papas-Toybox

Thanks for all the info. I knew I could count on you guys. The sheath is definitely not what it was issued with, but back then I guess they used whatever they could get their hands on. Like that wood pommel Mk1 I got with a theater replacement pommel.

Both of my guard marked ones have thin pommel..but, do have the original sheathes..it's the OD fiberglass NORD 8114 version, if that helps..

Papas-Toybox

Thanks again. During, and after the war I am sure many original sheaths were damaged/lost and whoever had the knife used what ever they could to replace it. I'll keep an eye out for a good OD Fiberglass NORD 8114 to match it with.

Here's a page from a report that Camillus published in the 1960's regarding their manufacture of these Navy knives, along with much of their other WW2 production. On this page looks like a date when they switched over to the Beckwith plastic sheath. I imagine the other manufactures would be doing that same around a similar time.

post-17422-0-57401500-1521568390_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

How common is it to find a guard marked KA-BAR, (Union Cutlery),with a thick pommel and peened tang?

Older post, but still good question..

I've had 3-4 of them and see a few on eBay now...so they're out here!

I have 1 now. :)