USMC ROBESON RESTORATION

doyler

Purchased this from a forum member a couple years ago as I hadn't had a example of the Robeson manufactured USMC marked knife.

The pommel was missing but it was in such overall nice condition(and a scarce knife)that I saw some great potential to be there.

I had sourced a knife on line as a donor for a pommel but it has gone MIA here.

I contacted member Steve S here and he agreed to take on the project.I sent it off to him and couldn't have been more pleased with the results.

Steve's work is top end.He knocked this out in no time at all.I don't think it was even two weeks and that was with me sending it off and his returning it.It arrived this morning and I'm a happy camper to see this old knife once more with a completed handle.

Steve ended up fabricating a pommel from round stock.Extendng the tang and adding the upper red spacer.He finished the pommel with a weld like the originals and worked it down.

I highly recommend Steve as his work is quality and detailed.A true craftsman.Anyone who has a knife needing work shouldn't hesitate to contat Steve.Hes talented and also a collector so he does the work it like its his own.

Anyway here are the before and after shots.

The above knife by another original I have showing the broken pommel and tang.

post-342-0-42319100-1521154638_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-37753100-1521154692_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-32518400-1521154761_thumb.jpg

Thanks Skip and Mike

Big thumbs up to Steve for doing this.

Have wanted to complete this for a couple years or so.One local guy here who does knife work was afraid to ruin the handle so he didn't want to try the repair.Just fantastic work that Steve does.

VERY nice..I LOVE the way the pommel is tastefully and realistically "aged in"!! It will only get better with a little time!

I MAY have to enlist those fine skills..I have a tall thin font USMC blade marked Ka-Bar..that needs a handle, and looks like some tang work is needed, as a length of thread stock was slotted and brazed on...and a handle and new guard! :)

Have had a original Robeson type scabbard with the black thread for many years.I may pair it up with the restored knife.Its a bit of a snug fit.

I also took a little Break Free CLP and wiped it on the pommel.

post-342-0-34642700-1521609206_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-19115600-1521609223_thumb.jpg

Thanks to this thread, I'll be sending Steve a patient very soon! :D

Kris

I'm sure you will be happy you did

Steve does Amazing work.Anything I can pick up needing work I will do so knowing its in great hands with Steve.

Kris

I'm sure you will be happy you did

Steve does Amazing work.Anything I can pick up needing work I will do so knowing its in great hands with Steve.

Thanks Ron..I can see that by the job he did with yours..and that MK1 he did..I would have been fooled!!

Plus, it was a wish of my Gramps to restore it before he passed, so it has a super deep meaning..and I know Steve will knock it out of the park!!