Need Help With Identifying This WW2 Bag

34th168

Has characteristics of some sort of demo bag and the USMC Field Bag. As you can see it has lift a dot fasteners on all three pouch areas and on the bottom tab. It's a dark shade of Khaki all the way to include the trim.

It measures approximately 14" tall, 11" wide, and 5" deep. The side pouch is 10" tall and the front bottom pouch is approximately 8" x 10". When opened from the top the top pouch is approximately 10" x 4" x 3".

post-172938-0-32639800-1521137008.jpg

Jumpin Jack

While I'm heavy into field gear, I've never encountered on like this. My problem is there's another piece of field gear I now have to search for. Jack

It has me scratching my head as well. It has so many characteristics of a USMC Field Bag however the two front pouches with lift a dot fasteners in place of the two strap buckle closure has me thrown.....

I obtained this in a large lot of WW2 surplus gear over 12yrs ago. I remember being told by the shop owner that there was a demo bag in the lot. After going through everything this was the only piece left that was close to even being considered a demo bag.

Jake the Collector

You indeed have a WWII USMC officer's field bag, but it is a modified version not commonly seen. In fact, yours is the only one I've seen outside of a reference book; I haven't even come across any in period photographs. So, it must be pretty rare.

post-159182-0-85642200-1521304442_thumb.jpg

If I was to part with it, how much do you think it's worth? I'm not familiar with the WW2 USMC gear and equipment.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is one I found earlier this year.  It is unmarked.  It is not "modified", but obviously has been manufactured in this configuration.  It is identical to photos of 34th168, above.

2021-01-05 17.02.51.jpg

2021-01-05 17.04.50.jpg