New dog tag

bellasilva

It's been a long dry spell but I picked this one up recently. It is intriguing as he was a pre-war regular Army Infantry guy. The tag itself has a ton of character. It's pitted and has certainly been underground for some time. There is also a small stress crack on the lower left corner.

Also interesting is the S43. No doubt a typo by whoever stamped the tag.

Unfortunately research is a dead end aside from his NARA file. I plan on ordering his file but odds are there will be little to nothing left. Anything anyone could pull up would be awesome.

post-104906-0-88416200-1521123314_thumb.jpg

post-104906-0-38254200-1521123353_thumb.png

Silva-Darrow

what's the matter w/ youse guys....

the 'S' indicates second series tetnus booster..

by now, both of you should know better

Connor haven't you been listening to wade's babbling?

(CD-still have that NICE pewter CV MICH VOL with 3 battles.....make me the offer i can't refuse)

the vast majority would simply have -43 -44 -45 etc for 2nd series.....the 'S' prefix was entirely the discretion of the enlisted (usually hung-over) GI working the ADDRESSOGRAPH stamper....uncommon but not rare

• 1 month later...

Well, I received his file back from Golden Arrow Research, all 81 pages of it, and it certainly wasn't what I was expecting.

He was a juvenile delinquent from a broken home, who became an alcoholic and went AWOL at least 5 times, for months at a time. He attempted suicide when his wife left him, and he was finally confined to hard labor for 6 months and sentenced to 10 years in prison. He was released after 3 years and repeatedly tried to return to the Army to reverse his dishonorable discharge, to no avail. Needless to say he never went overseas and certainly had a tough time of it all.