WW1 USMC Greatcoat

graffspee

I scored this WW1 Marine great coat. Looks to be a P-1917 pattern .It has Army OD wool bottom Lining and the Sleeve lining is a Army shade OD cotton also. It has a hook closure for the collar I have not seen before. I believe it was added to replace the standard two small hooks and eyes. There is now QM markings that I can find in the sleeve but a name is stenciled inside the coat. Has a wound stripe. I am going to try and research the name and see if I can find anything out.

post-8047-0-70207400-1520975462_thumb.jpg

post-8047-0-17394200-1520975531_thumb.jpg

post-8047-0-76566200-1520975545_thumb.jpg

post-8047-0-82494700-1520975596_thumb.jpg

post-8047-0-72891800-1520975607_thumb.jpg

post-8047-0-39550800-1520975619_thumb.jpg

jeremiahcable

That's a nice example of a WW1 USMC trench coat/great coat. That is a discharge chevron, by the way, not a wound chevron.

That's a nice example of a WW1 USMC trench coat/great coat. That is a discharge chevron, by the way, not a wound chevron.

Yes, my mistake..IDK why I wanted to say it was a wound stripe....

Anyway, I was happy to find it . I had been looking for one of these coats for a good while and just stumbled across it by chance at a price I would have been a fool not to pick it up even if I had not been looking for one... As with most things WW1 Marine related these coats do not seem to be easy to find. At least I have not seen a whole lot of them around ..

The throat hook is original.

Cool.

I thought it may have been but I was not sure. I had not seen one like that used before on a US coat. I looked at what pictures I could find of Marine coats but did not see any like that on the ones that showed the collar open.

...and I will equally concur as to the collar hook. It's exactly what was on WWI USMC overcoats I've owned over the years. Nice piece as these overcoats are harder to find than the blouses, though they don't bring the price of the blouse.

Steve