Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:16 AM

Anyone know the seller? 

#27 gap

gap
  • Members
    • Member ID: 51,748
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:56 AM

The service number US 51328283 is not correct for an officer. An officer's service number always begins with 0-**********.

Looks to me there are two more characters before the 51328283, so maybe not a ASN.

#28 mghcal

mghcal
  • Members
    • Member ID: 25,673
  • 520 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:52 AM

I will say that I know very little about helmets. But I did see this helmet at the General's estate auction in the condition the seller here is presenting it. 

#29 manayunkman

manayunkman
  • Members
    • Member ID: 51,189
  • 12,445 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:38 PM

I had nothing to do for a couple so I studied this helmet again.

From the looks of the picture the helmet was repainted with something in the paint for texture.

I say this because the stars are painted over and has what ever was used for texture on them.

When did he become a general?

1950's?

Edited by manayunkman, 19 March 2018 - 12:50 PM.

#30 P-59A

P-59A
  • Members
    • Member ID: 169,522
  • 961 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 03:56 PM

Looks to me there are two more characters before the 51328283, so maybe not a ASN.

As Bob stated the number works if it is a SSN, I don't think you will find a number like that for WW2 or Korea. If I am not mistaken SSN as a military identification number doesn't happen until around the Vietnam era. Run the number I don't think you will get any hits. This may have been sold at the estate sale of a General, but beyond that one can not infer anything. When I was a kid back in the 60's my dad bought me a 1960's Army helmet liner to play around in. My dad left the Air Force in 1962 after I was born. To infer it was my dad's liner would be way off the mark. Yes, my dad had it until he gave it to me, but he bought it at a surplus store. Get what I am saying?

#31 lettow

lettow
  • Members
    • Member ID: 130,897
  • 552 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 05:17 PM

I will say that I know very little about helmets. But I did see this helmet at the General's estate auction in the condition the seller here is presenting it. 

General Bunker died in 1969 and his wife died in 1995. When was the estate auction?

Edited by lettow, 19 March 2018 - 05:18 PM.

#32 mghcal

mghcal
  • Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 06:19 PM

It was a recent auction that said something like from General Bunker's estate. They also had many of his father-in-laws military items. I will call and see what the auction company says. I'll also add a couple items of General Bunkers that I purchased to this thread as soon as I get home.

#33 mghcal

mghcal
  • Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:25 PM

Here are William Bunker's ribbon bars and two of his foreign awards. The ribbon bar with the ww1 victory I'm unsure why it's in this lot.

Attached Images

• resizedbunker.jpg

#34 mghcal

mghcal
  • Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:45 PM

back

Attached Images

• resize.jpg

#35 mghcal

mghcal
  • Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:53 AM

So I just looked over the previous auction again. Yesterday I finally received the stuff I'd purchased. Included was another medal group that I was hoping would have some of General Bunker's medals. To my surprise one of the medals was engraved and researching tonight I now realize I had instead bought a lot of medals belonging to General Philip A Feir. He was the 2/35th Bn CO during part of the Vietnam War and later commanded the 7th Inf Div. I checked and some of his family lived near where this auction took place. Or perhaps these were consigned by the family.

My guess it's one of those auctions that will buy out entire estates and then store everything in a warehouse. They'll wait and gather a bunch of similar items like militaria and list it all in one auction. To be fair this auction did seem to remark that some of the items sold were from the General Bunker collection, either his own medals or his father-in-laws. The General Feir medals were not attributed to the General Bunker collection. I was hoping they had just made an error in neglecting to add that. Instead it looks as though they had just failed to include a note that certain items belonged to General Feir. I bid on a few 1 and 2 star GO flags as well, looking again there are parade flags for the 25th Inf Div, 4th Inf Div, and 7th Inf Div. Those are all Divisions which General Feir had a part in. What I thought were General Bunker's flags were in fact General Feir's flags. There were also some Westpoint pendants along with 7th Division pins, those were also General Feir's. Hopefully this helps anyone that may have bought the flags or pins. It is difficult sometimes with auctions that don't seem to care for keeping the history with items. As I have, I'm sure many of you have followed the same auction house over several weeks or months buying different parts of the same groupings. I know this doesn't help in identifying whether the helmet was indeed General Bunker's but perhaps a new search to include General Feir would prove fruitful?

#36 manayunkman

manayunkman
  • Members
  • 12,445 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:55 AM

It's not that they don't care, in most cases they just don't know.

Most families are the same way.

Remember we are the minority in this line of thinking.

Stuff is stuff to the majority people.

Is the Nicaraguan medal solid gold?

Edited by manayunkman, 20 March 2018 - 06:01 AM.

#37 P-59A

P-59A
  • Members
  • 961 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:59 PM

Its common (in my neck of the woods) for the company's running the auctions to lump stuff together. Even estate sales drag stuff from one estate sale to another. It's one of those buyer beware situations. I don't think there is an attempt to mislead. It's more poor logistics and information lost as they go from one sale to another.

#38 mghcal

mghcal
  • Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:11 PM

I'm pretty sure the Nicaraguan Distinguished Service Cross is solid gold. Here's a better photo of the entire small group. If anyone here bought the DSM, LOM, or swagger stick I'd be interested in reuniting everything.

I don't think the auction company was misleading either. They did list that certain items were from the Bunker collection which is more than most auction houses will do.

Attached Images

• resizedbunker1.jpg

#39 manayunkman

manayunkman
  • Members
  • 12,445 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:56 AM

Cool group.

That medal looks solid gold.

The helmet sold for 300 and something.

Was that kinda cheap?

#40 P-59A

P-59A
  • Members
  • 961 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 04:16 PM

Cool group.

That medal looks solid gold.

The helmet sold for 300 and something.

Was that kinda cheap?

Someone paid 300 for a story, what a deal.

#41 manayunkman

manayunkman
  • Members
  • 12,445 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:25 PM

How much does a 2 star general's helmet go for, people pay 300 for a plain FS FB M1?

I wish I had got it.

Edited by manayunkman, 23 March 2018 - 01:27 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users