Help Needed re 1962 - '63 era USMC Dogtags

usmce4

My original dogtags were stolen when my house was robbed in 1981. Now that I'm collecting MK2s I'd like to remake my tags to put in display with the knives. I've gotten help on the layout, but conflicting info as to whether or not they were notched. What is REALLY confusing me is I kept them with my Father's WWII tags that WERE notched so I'm thinking maybe I'm picturing his in my mind's eye regarding the notch.

If any Marine who was in around 1962 - '63 and still has his dogtags could just tell me if they are notched or not I would be MOST appreciative

Thanks, Art

Maybe they COULD have been notched..they still were in '61 from what I've researched. Excellent question..I'm sure someone has a set to tell you for sure.

I got a great set from a eBay seller that has new old stock blanks, and he has THIS:

744751509_tp.jpg

Dated '64, to where he claims may have been the first UN-notched..

He also has a '61 set that is notched..

902559056_tp.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DOG-TAGS-VINTAGE-NOTCHED-US-GENUINE-ISSUE-1961-DEBOSSED-YOUR-INFO-W-GI-MACHINE/301991528775?hash=item4650190947:g:5tAAAOSwmtJXaH9L

I'm not affiliated with the seller in anyway..I just wanted to share my findings..the font, strike depth..EVERYTHING is spot on perfect. I am very happy with them, and had set made for my gramps (USN '52-'56, Gator Navy LCVP coxswain)..he was even able to replicate the "errors" on the original notched tags! (upper case I used instead of 1 in SN#, spaced out 2 spaces on top line..) So at least we got '61 and '64 down..but that sure doesn't help with your years..dang it!

You could even put it on a 1945 dated chain if you so chose! (I did!) I had my tags redone on the '64 blanks..the stainless is very nice from then, duplicated my original tag format from early '90s..I wear them everyday.

s-l1600.jpg

('45 dated could have been still as new issue many years later..ESPECIALLY in the USN and USMC!!! Plus, I love the history!)

I had first got a real set of AWFUL tags..the tags were good themselves..but they weren't struck deep enough..like machine was 20 years past wore out..but stumbling across this seller fixed all of that for good.

Do you remember the exact format of your original tags?

Hi

First, thanks for the info!!! As for the format, yes, I've got that now, just can't remember the notches.

There are a lot of people selling them for $10 - $15 but they are shiny as a new dime - they look like junk. The woman at the VA charges $20 but she has the blanks just like the ones you show above and I thought she was a bit pricey - looking at campack's, I guess her price is very good.

I'm going to be there this Tues and unless I get definite info otherwise, I'm going to go with my memory and order a notched set. She has the machine at home (says it weighs couple of hundred lbs) and has to mail them to me so I should have them hopefully by the end of the week. I'll take pics of her display ones Tues and put them on here along with her info in case you like them and need more.

Again, Thanks! (I've searched ebay a dozen times but somehow never saw your guy)

Art

PS - My Fathers' WWII (Army) ones were on a different type of chain - it was flat - kinda cool, almost like jewelry actually.

Hi

First, thanks for the info!!! As for the format, yes, I've got that now, just can't remember the notches.

There are a lot of people selling them for $10 - $15 but they are shiny as a new dime - they look like junk. The woman at the VA charges $20 but she has the blanks just like the ones you show above and I thought she was a bit pricey - looking at campack's, I guess her price is very good.

I'm going to be there this Tues and unless I get definite info otherwise, I'm going to go with my memory and order a notched set. She has the machine at home (says it weighs couple of hundred lbs) and has to mail them to me so I should have them hopefully by the end of the week. I'll take pics of her display ones Tues and put them on here along with her info in case you like them and need more.

Again, Thanks! (I've searched ebay a dozen times but somehow never saw your guy)

Art

PS - My Fathers' WWII (Army) ones were on a different type of chain - it was flat - kinda cool, almost like jewelry actually.

No prob Art, hope it works out for you!

Funny, the "dull" tags begin to take on a shine with wear! My gramps' old tag is very shiny..but not a "cheap" looking shine..I know exactly what you mean there!

I went to the VA today and saw the woman, last time she had the notched AND the plain with her, today she only had the plain, she said she had the notched ones home. The plain ones she had DID have the rolled edge around the chain hole as campack says is the way to tell original GI from knock-offs. When I asked if the notched ones had that she said her husband would call me tonight or tomorrow night and he'd have it in his hand as we spoke so he could answer my questions.

No call tonight, so hopefully tomorrow.

Art

I have my father's tags from his time in the Army. He was in from 1961-63. They are the rolled edge with notch. Both are attached with the short length of bead chain as shown above.

I have my father's tags from his time in the Army. He was in from 1961-63. They are the rolled edge with notch. Both are attached with the short length of bead chain as shown above.

Thank you, I appreciate the info

Art

Kris ---- No phone call tonight either :(

Thank you, I appreciate the info

Art

Kris ---- No phone call tonight either :(

Art, that is a BUMMER.

If you go to campack, you'll have a nice set in just a few days! ;) (this guy owes me for advertising haha..)

Art, that is a BUMMER.

If you go to campack, you'll have a nice set in just a few days! ;) (this guy owes me for advertising haha..)

The husband of the VA seller never did call - maybe she described the rim around the chain hole and he knew his were knock-offs, maybe he HAD them but he;s out of them (@ $20 a set I could see why he would be) who knows why, I'm not good at figuring people's motives out.

campack was really nice and explained the difference between the real and the knock-offs and said Marines in '62 DID use notched. I was hoping to be able to replace them but the price is a bit high for just a copy of my originals (I don't mean HIS price is high, I mean it's more than they are worth to me).

But thanks just the same to you and the others who offered help and to campack as well for taking the time to give an honest explaination.

And if anybody goes to the Lebanon PA VA please tell the woman who sells the shirts & stuff the guy (she has my name & info) who wanted the notched dogtags said "Thanks for nothing & your husband is not a very good businessman OR a polite person")

Anyway, at least I still have my tattoo :)

Art