History Channel with Honest-to-God history series

tredhed2

I just caught a repeat of the first episode in a series titled "The Men Who Built America: The Frontiersmen" on Saturday night 3-10-18. The show regularly appears on Wednesday nights 9 PM EST.

It is a pseudo-documentary - voice narration, perspectives from historians, interviews, some spoken parts by the actors - but this program was very well balanced. It focused on Daniel Boone, the illegal expansion into KY in the 1770s - it was illegal by British law for Americans to go west of the Appalachians. It was tied into the American Revolution. I refreshed my knowledge about Boone, but what I learned is that the fort at Boonesborough staved off a British-financed Native American attack on the fort. If the fort, the largest one in the area had fallen, the British forces could have caught what was left of the American army in a pincer movement from the west and crushed. Things were not gong well in 1778 in the East at the time.

Each program in the series will focus on a certain American and what he did to play such a large part in our history. Davy Crockett, Lewis and Clark, Tecumseh, Andrew Jackson, Kitt Carson, John C. Fremont, and I may have left someone out, will be showcased in coming stories.

Each program is two hours long, with minimal commercial interruption, so get your popcorn. If this first episode is any indication of the quality of further episodes, they will be well worth it.

Add me to the like column. My wife enjoyed it also. They could do a whole episode on Boone's daughter - she was as tough as he was.

Just caught up on the first episode. So far, so good!

Well, I am watching the episode on Tecumseh. Maybe I missed something, but the Battle of Tippecanoe is being badly told. The Prophet's forces attacked Harrison's army on the morning of the 6th. Although surprised, Harrison's forces rallied and drove off the Indians. Prophetstown was abandoned and then Harrison entered and destroyed it. This program is portraying it like an earlier version of Custer's attack on the Washita.