Col. Charlie Beckwith 1st SFOD-Delta Delta Force Uniform Grouping

warpath

Colonel Charlie Beckwith Founder and First Commanding Officer of 1st SFOD-Delta Delta Force...His British Camouflage Uniform Smock I obtained recently from another Forum member...Photos include his field gear grouping from Operation Eagle Claw...This grouping is historically significant in several ways and I am pleased to have the opportunity to add the grouping to my collection of Col. Beckwith's guns and Delta Force related firearms several of which I posted elsewhere on this forum.

As a vocal proponent of British SAS tactics and organization, Col. Beckwith utilized much of SAS doctrine during his planning and subsequent organization of what would become Delta Force in the late 1970s. His dedication to forming a premier elite unit within the US Army was nothing short of remarkable for its audacity and eventual establishment overcoming incredible obstacles for the many years he worked to form the unit.

He is well known in Special Operations, of course, but the link below gives a brief biography of his life and service history.

https://en.wikipedia..._Alvin_Beckwith

https://en.wikipedia...tion_Eagle_Claw

post-3653-0-35473300-1520786801.jpg

post-3653-0-67112700-1520786809_thumb.jpg

Wow!!!!! Great pick up! The person who basically formed Delta Force which of course doesn't exist. I like the way you can match the camouflage pattern from the photograph with the jacket.

• 1 month later...

Operation Eagle Claw

With the mission already aborted, things got worse when one of the helicopters moved to another position and drifted into one of the parked EC-130's. In the pilot's defense, it was dark and his rotors kicked up an immense dust cloud, making it difficult to see but immediately both the C-130 and RH-53 burst into flames, lighting up the dark desert night, and 8 crewmembers lost their lives. http://www.popasmoke.com/kia/incidents.php?incident_id=323&

CAPT Harold L. Lewis Jr., USAF --- EC-130E A/C Commander
CAPT Lyn D. McIntosh, USAF --- EC-130E Pilot
CAPT Richard L. Bakke, USAF --- EC-130E Navigator
CAPT Charles McMillian, USAF --- EC-130E Navigator
TSGT Joel C. Mayo, USAF --- EC-130E Flight Engineer
SSgt Dewey Johnson, USMC --- RH-53D Crewmember (parent unit HMH-461)
Sgt John D. Harvey, USMC --- RH-53D Crewmember (parent unit HMH-461)
Cpl George N. Holmes, USMC --- RH-53D Crewmember (parent unit HMH-461)

Garandomatic

Amazing. I've been listening to Joe Galloway interviews lately and he mentions getting the M16 that he took to X-Ray as a parting gift from Beckwith for manning a machine gun for him.

• 2 weeks later...
firefighter

Col. Beckwith training prior to the Iran mission

Awesome group of items to a true warrior. In the pic he reminds me of Col. Hannibal Smith, i wonder if he was the inspiration for his chracter?

• 7 months later...

I found this photograph of Colonel Charlie Beckwith in his green service uniform with British SAS wings above his right pocket. That is something you don't see every day.

post-1389-0-16254600-1546451018.jpg

Garandomatic

Prior to x-ray Galloway was with a few units including some marines. He made a stop for a little while with Beckwith before going out with the 1st Cav.