Uniform Grouping of Van T. Barfoot, MOH

ssggates

I posted this group on here several years back, but I decided it deserved some better photos. I attempted to do it justice. I copied some excerpts of my original post below.

Van T. Barfoot, a Choctaw from Mississippi, enlisted in 1940 and was assigned to the 1st Infantry Division, where he served in Puerto Rico and other places. After Pearl Harbor he was reassigned to the HQ Amphibious Force Atlantic Fleet, where he helped train the first 4 US Army divisions to go overseas. The last of these was the 45th Infantry Division, and he was invited to join them. The rest is history, as they say. Along with the Medal of Honor he was awarded the Silver Star, Bronze Star, and three Purple Hearts. The infinite number of articles and stories available online tell his story better than I ever could. Barfoot made a career out of the army and went on to serve briefly in Korea and then as a combat helicopter pilot in Vietnam, where he received 11 air medals. He retired in 1974 a full colonel.

The uniform I have is well worn, and probably the last one he wore during his career. It was in his closet when he passed away in 2012. The evidence points to it being the same uniform that he is wearing in the two official photos I found online. Also included in the group were his uniform trousers (still had change and handkerchief in the pocket), his rain coat, and many mementos, including some from the CMOH Society. The dishes span most of his career and are all inscribed to him. I was not able to get the whole group, but I am proud of what I do have.

Van Barfoot was a true American hero in an age where that term is tossed about carelessly. A truly honorable, courageous, patriotic, and good man. If you have an hour to spare sometime it will be well spent listening to this interview: http://ww2online.org...rfoot/segment-1

Here are the citations for his Medal of Honor and Silver Star medals.

Medal of Honor:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty on 23 May 1944, near Carano, Italy. With his platoon heavily engaged during an assault against forces well entrenched on commanding ground, 2d Lt. Barfoot (then Tech. Sgt.) moved off alone upon the enemy left flank. He crawled to the proximity of 1 machinegun nest and made a direct hit on it with a hand grenade killing 2 and wounding 3 Germans. He continued along the German defense line to another machinegun emplacement, and with his Thompson Submachine gun killed 2 and captured 3 soldiers. Members of another enemy machinegun crew then abandoned their position and gave themselves up to Sgt. Barfoot. Leaving the prisoners for his support squad to pick up, he proceeded to mop up positions in the immediate area, capturing more prisoners and bringing his total count to 17. Later that day, after he had reorganized his men and consolidated the newly captured ground, the enemy launched a fierce armored counterattack directly at his platoon positions. Securing a bazooka, Sgt. Barfoot took up an exposed position directly in front of 3 advancing Mark IV tanks. From a distance of 75 yards his first shot destroyed the track of the leading tank, effectively disabling it, while the other 2 changed direction toward the flank. As the crew of the disabled tank dismounted, Sgt. Barfoot killed 3 of them with his tommygun. He continued onward into enemy terrain and destroyed a recently abandoned German fieldpiece with a demolition charge placed in the breech While returning to his platoon position, Sgt. Barfoot, though greatly fatigued by his Herculean efforts, assisted 2 of his seriously wounded men 1,700 yards to a position of safety. Sgt. Barfoot's extraordinary heroism, demonstration of magnificent valor, and aggressive determination in the face of pointblank fire are a perpetual inspiration to his fellow soldiers

Silver Star:

VAN T. BARFOOT 7009269 INF, Technical Sergeant (then Staff Sergeant), Company L, 157th Infantry Regiment, for gallantry in action, 9-10 December 1943, near Pozzilli, Italy. Sergeant Barfoot, guiding a night reconnaissance party of two officers, came unexpectedly upon three enemy machine guns. He attacked one of the machine guns, killing the two man crew with fire from his sub-machine gun and silenced one of the other machine guns with hand grenades, enabling the reconnaissance party to withdraw safely. On the following night, Sergeant Barfoot led a raiding party against a reinforced German company. He personally destroyed one machine gun, killed three of the enemy, captured two prisoners, and successfully led his party back to friendly lines through the cross-fire of several machine guns. Sergeant Barfoot’s gallantry reflects high credit on the Armed Forces. Entered military service from Carthage, Mississippi.

post-20290-0-27366900-1520607859_thumb.jpg

post-20290-0-89019700-1520607887_thumb.jpg

post-20290-0-18742000-1520607987.jpg

aerialbridge

Thanks for posting your group to a Native American hero of the Anzio breakout, one of the bloodiest days of the war. Truly an honorable man, and a fighter for what he believed until the end of his long life. RIP, Col. Barfoot.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/05/us/van-barfoot-medal-of-honor-recipient-dies-at-92.html

Very nice! I love seeing groups like this where there are other items in addition to the uniform.

Kurt

Brian Dentino

Very historic group and excellent display as well.

Agreed, a great uniform and other "stuff" to a true warrior. Great group you have in your collection!

Brian Dentino

Looking at this again and still floored......wow, what an amazing National treasure! Outstanding is an understatement! Had a great-uncle that was a MSGT in the 45th and was KIA in Salerno, just a beautiful grouping to a true "Thunderbird" hero!