M-38 tanker helmet

cerick1450

Hello

Is it proper to have M-1944 goggles displayed with a M1938 tanker helmet? Were they worn during together during the war? The goggles are dated 1944. I thought this would be the best forum for this topic.

Thank you

Are the goggles Patton is wearing in the right picture Polaroid #1021 goggles? Not sure about the left.. The M1944 and B-8 both have distinctive appearance from the front, having a rubber button or plug on the top and bottom of the nose area.

I believe they are polaroid goggles ( due to the light color frames). The one on the left is hard to tell, since Patton is looking up. It appears tankers used different kinds of goggles in Europe. In the movie Fury, I think Gordo wears the one that Patton has on the left picture.

hbtcoveralls

the M-1944 goggles are not correct for WWII with the possible exception of some troops in Czechoslovakia at the very end of the war

I've looked for original WWII photos of tankers with these goggles and they are non-existant

The directors of Fury were told that those goggles were incorrect but they liked the look

The Polaroid 1021 goggles are correct as are the Resistal goggles and even sometimes captured German goggles are seen but the M-1944s are simply not correct

Tom Bowers

phantomfixer

The pic of Patton on the left...looks to be wearing AAF B6 goggles..pre WWII issue

and as far as Hollywood and M38s...I always liked Sahara with Humphrey Bogart

post-155518-0-83727700-1520447707_thumb.jpg

I would go with the polaroids with grey foam rubber frames or the Resistols...both look great displayed on the m38 tanker helmet...mike

the M-1944 goggles are not correct for WWII with the possible exception of some troops in Czechoslovakia at the very end of the war

I've looked for original WWII photos of tankers with these goggles and they are non-existant

The directors of Fury were told that those goggles were incorrect but they liked the look

The Polaroid 1021 goggles are correct as are the Resistal goggles and even sometimes captured German goggles are seen but the M-1944s are simply not correct

Tom Bowers

post-158668-0-17973800-1520448013_thumb.jpg

Whats the Explanation for these? LOL

Adrian

hbtcoveralls

attachicon.gifresized_fury-brad-pitt1.jpg

Whats the Explanation for these? LOL

Adrian

It's a movie and they thought they were different enough to distinguish the character, Interesting though. I know some of the people who were advisors to the movie and they still react with disgust when you bring up the M-44 goggle debacle

Adrian,

The explanation for those is that they are Russian goggles that ended up in the Wehrmacht, then in Brad Pitt's hands. If that makes sense...

Goggles that were definitely used by US tankers in WWII include M-43 goggles, early type Polaroid goggles, Resistal goggles, Skyway goggles and other early types of aviation goggles

The M-43 goggles are perhaps the cheapest way of correctly finishing your tanker helmet.

Hello

I was looking through my box of stuff and came across two M-1943 goggles that I had put there. They are the green tinted variety 74-G-76-35. Would the green tinted be used with the tanker helmet, or only the clear?

Also they have a blued elastic on them. I was concerned about the elastic, but then I fount the following thread in the Craig Pickrall field gear forum, that are identical. They are AO dated 1943.

Thanks you.

Link to Craig Pickrall forum

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234183-about-the-m-1943-goggles/

few pictures.

post-13198-0-38595500-1520717269.jpg

post-13198-0-35675700-1520717277.jpg

post-13198-0-65369200-1520717288.jpg

Hi,

In my opinion either shade is correct depending on what crew member/situation you wish to portray.

The red tint goggles would have been used by machine gunners, the green tint goggles at night for adaptation in darkness.

AO stands for American Optical. Those are really nice goggles.

I know there's some very well known pictures of tankers wearing them but I can't seem to find them right away. When I do I will post them here. In any case the green tint goggles would be correct if you want to portray a tanker who is taking part in a night time manoeuvre. (they were very much used by air crews for this reason as well)

Best regards

Hi,

Some interesting pictures for you to look at. These more or less prove that there was very little consistency when it comes to the type of goggles tankers wore at the time. I'm sure tankers used whatever goggles they could find and foreign types are no exception.

Hope it helps

Best regards

af24f1d7b4d62ead7e5bb1902791bd09--colone

e80b0a92bcdb5e61f3ad40f832ad9231--tanker

i285134164389860470._szw480h1280.jpg

m727.jpg

8yfkfb.jpg

M22with28th_TBtankersontop.jpg

Hello

The Blue elastic on the green tinted googles at first caused concern, but it appears that they ore original. The tread on the sewing matches the rest of the sewing on the google. Also with the previous thread, I assume it is period done. I guess, they used anything they could get during the war. If it worked, color didn't matter... Thank you for the help and photo's.

Hi,

Some interesting pictures for you to look at. These more or less prove that there was very little consistency when it comes to the type of goggles tankers wore at the time. I'm sure tankers used whatever goggles they could find and foreign types are no exception.

Hope it helps

Best regards

af24f1d7b4d62ead7e5bb1902791bd09--colone

e80b0a92bcdb5e61f3ad40f832ad9231--tanker

i285134164389860470._szw480h1280.jpg

m727.jpg

8yfkfb.jpg

M22with28th_TBtankersontop.jpg

In the 3rd photo from the top, it almost looks like the tanker sitting on top is wearing the M44, while the tanker to his right is wearing polaroids.

In the 3rd photo from the top, it almost looks like the tanker sitting on top is wearing the M44, while the tanker to his right is wearing polaroids.

I think that photo is post WW2. Possibly even 1950s. The sergeant on the far left looks to have those really small chevrons used in the 50s. Plus one of the helmet liners looks glossy like some of those 50s repainted liners. And the presence of 2 M4a3e8 tanks in what appears to be a training type setting also makes me think post war.

I agree with the others. If you're looking to create a display what what a common M38 would look like, go with the resistol or Polaroid goggles. A nice set of Polaroids shouldnt cost more than $40. Resistols are a different story. Very expensive in nice condition.

helmetman54

Can anyone comment on the blue elastic. I have an identical set and have read the previous thread. Is that correct ww2 issue??

Hm54

Are there any pictures of tankers wearing the M1 dust protector? My book said it was used by the armored troops so I added it to my display. Thought it looked cool.