Pearl Harbor Postal Cover With December 7 1941 Cancellation

nbolinger

Picked this up in a collection of postal covers and it had a 150 $ price tag, the cancellation is from December 7th 1941 from a US Naval Hospital in Philadelphia PA, cant find another one like it , figured id post here. Thanks for any help i can get.

post-9905-0-98062100-1520388045.jpg

What kind of help are you looking for? Value? scarcity?

I guess, i was curious if its real or some kind of anniversary item?

I guess it is also odd that Dec 7th 1941 was a Sunday and the attacked happened at almost 2 PM

in the afternoon Eastern time. Was the post office at a Naval Hospital even open?

On these types of cover, they were often back dated by the Navy Postal clerks as a favor .

There are actual 12/7/41 Navy Covers postmarked in Hawaii on that day too, but they are super scarce. I have a lot of 12/6 and 12/8 covers from Hawaii.

Kurt

I guess, i was curious if its real or some kind of anniversary item?

i agree with Kurt's assessment and would say the value on this would be minimal..IMO... 150$ would be way out of line for this one.

Consider that the cover is a commerative piece. If it was actually postmarked on December 7, how is it they had on hand envelopes with the cachet?

Cachet makers back then regularly added the cachet after they had it postmarked.

I even see today 1930's cancels where someone in the last few years added a cachet,

Kurt