Question about WWII 89th Infantry patches

mmerc20

I was curious if someone could provide some background on the 89th Infantry Div "rolling W" patch. I know the subdued green/black patch was made during WWII but I have seen full color (red, white, and blue) ones as well. When were these used?

I normally associate the green/black patches with Vietnam and later combat uniforms so some clarification on the 89th patches and their use during WWII would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

The cut edge green and black patch was standard during ww2. The red white and blue tri-color patch was worn towards the end of the war by some soldiers but it wasn't authorized until the late 40's when the unit was reactivated. I think there was also another variation that was more brownish background than regular green.

As a former member of the 89th ARCOM, I can tell you with great certainty that the full color "Rolling W" patch did not come out until the late 1940's. You will NOT find them on a WWII uniform. If you do, the person faking it didn't do their homework.

WWII era patches were still being handed out in the 1980's as subdued patches. The ARCOM must have had a million of them.

Allan

Thanks guys for the correction, I had read that in one of the reference books I have. However, in my Keller book it is as you say. Needless to say I will have to take a sharpie to the other book and second guess it in the future.