New member from Washington state

speeder3

Hello everyone, I'm Brian from the south Puget Sound area of Washington state.

I've been checking out the topics on this forum for awhile now, many times using the info here to help with identifying something I've seen at a gun show, etc. The information posted on this site has been great reading and highly educational. A big 'thank you' to everyone that makes this site happen!

While I'm interested in many things vintage, old, antique, etc., I've only recently gotten into the area of US militaria, mainly thanks to my son. He's a big on-line gamer and retains a remarkable amount of info on military weapons (mostly WWII era, per the games he plays). A couple years ago he bought a Yugo M48 and after I had a chance to shoot it, I thought this old military rifle thing is pretty cool! I then saw my first Krag (sporterized) at a gun shop and just had to have one (I love stuff that is out of the ordinary). I later picked up a pretty nice M1898 (1903 mfr date, non-sporterized) and then a copy of Joe Poyer's book. Upon learning of the "train" connection of the Krag rifles and the Reserve Engineers (I'm a railroad guy), I was hooked. While I enjoy learning about the whole of the Great War, my interest has really focused on the role of railroads during the war, the soldiers that operated/repaired them (particularly the 18th Reserve Engineers since I'm a west coast native) and by extension, trench warfare. I'm also highly interested in the Spruce Division operations of Oregon and Washington states (been a student of logging railroad history for many years now).

I have some questions about a couple of things in my collection, so I'm excited to finally be a member and have the opportunity to ask and learn.

Best to all,

Brian

post-177942-0-77706600-1520217581_thumb.jpg

easterneagle87

Greetings to the forum. Nice display! Am an "East" sider (from South of Spokane) stuck in Northern California till I retire. Thanks for sharing!

Welcome from a fellow 'Washingtonion', from the Emerald City. As a logging railroad enthusiast I'm sure you've looked into the 'Ring of Fire' train in southwest Washington.

Great stuff.

I'm also a South Sounder, been here since 1998.

Also huge into military railroads and have a portion of a RR Operating Battalion on my On30 gauge model railroad...

37217251744_917de4524e.jpg

General Colt

Welcome Brian! I also happen to be a Washingtonian, not from the Puget Sound. I'm from the Vancouver area down by Portland. Again, welcome to the forum.

Welcome. That's a great little corner of the world you have there.

I have family and friends near Tacoma, and some other friends up near Blaine. I love to visit up there when I can. But my daughter thinks you have too many trees.

Mikie

A belated 'thanks' to everyone for the warm welcome. I am really enjoying this web site. I've done quite a lot of browsing through the various forums to see what's going on.

Lee - I've seen the thread on your On30 layout work and am really impressed! I recently divested myself of most of my HO modeling stuff so I could buy a Eddystone M1917. I've got designs on a small On30 shelf layout (easier for aging eye balls).

Do the PNW members every get together at an event,, etc., for a meet and greet?

Best to all,

Brian

Do the PNW members every get together at an event,, etc., for a meet and greet?

No more than anywhere else. I'd suggest the OFM show at the Olympia flight museum on Saturday (I have other plans this coming weekend so I won't have my usual sales table this time), as most of the locals show up at those.

Hey Brian, welcome to the forum from north of the 49th!

Although I'm not a Washingtonian, I do consider myself in the PNW region....I'm in Victoria, BC across the strait from Port Angeles, WA, in fact I can see Pt Angeles from the end of my street!

It'd be a great idea to have a USMF meet or mini-show of all the PNW members sometime!

Anyway, welcome and enjoy the excellent people and knowledge that you'll find here!

Rick