Repro marked wing!

rustywings

Here's something most wing collectors won't encounter very often! Check out current ebay listing #302657178988.

It's a very well made reproduction of a 1920's style USN Observer's half-wing which has been deeply etched on the reverse with the identifier "Repro #7."

A tip-of-the-hat and a hardy applause to the unknown individual who etched that word of caution and identifier! It's a shame reproduction artists don't mimic this example...

(FYI... I have no connection or relationship with this current ebay listing.)

Repro3.jpg

Repro4.jpg

Repro6.jpg

Repro5.jpg

I have one of these repro half wings. They were made in Texas in the 1980's. The fellow who had them made was a retired Navy Aviation Ordnanceman and a collector of militaria, (To protect his identity I won't mention his name and I don't even know if he is still alive.)

Russ, I think you are mistaken, "REPRO#7" doesn't actually mean reproduction #7. It stands for REserve Patrol Reconnaissance and Observation (RePRO) squadron #7. Its a very rare wing, first designed by LT A Beckman and LTjg J W Valdemort (call sign "HeWhoShallNotBeNamed") at the NAS Museum Copy Depot (note the "M" hallmark"). A limited number of these high quality wings were made using exacting standards and equipment maintained in a garage and sold via catalogs and cracker jack boxes.

Someone is going to get a fine addition to their collection!

NOT

Sold for $34, 3 bidders/7 bids...........

I'd love to see an original as they are my favourite USN wing! Anyone on the forum have one?