WWI Marine with a weird patch on his sleeve

abqpropguy

I got this photo today and upon closer examination I noticed a weird patch on the marine on the far right and on his left sleeve. It’s located right below his rank chevrons.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

world war I nerd

At first, I thought that maybe the unknown insignia was some sort of a weird variant of either the 41st or 78th Division insignia. But when I compared them to the image, they weren't even close.

It's very interesting, but I'm stumped!

Here's a straightened image with a bit more contrast

post-5143-0-49716200-1520165343_thumb.jpg

To add a bit more mystery to an already mysterious photo, what is the strip above his left breast pocket(ribbons?) and the hard to see patch on his left side coat sleeve where O.S. stripes would normally be? Looks almost triangular. ????

world war I nerd

Hmmm ... In retrospect, it sure does look like the early version of the 78th Division insignia. I think Patchrat is right.

If it is a 78th Division insignia, why is a Marine wearing it there?

Those are definitely ribbons on the chest and the insignia on his sleeve is either an untrimmed & inverted overseas or stateside service chevron or an untrimmed discharge chevron worn low on the sleeve. Wearing the discharge chevron just above the service chevrons was commonly done by members of the Marine Corps.

I seem to recall reading that recruits were asked if they wanted to transfer to the USMC at some point during their induction into the military. Unfortunately, I can't recall when or where this took place - recruiting office - training camp - somewhere else?

Could it be possible that the guy began training with the 78th Division, but for reasons unknown he was transferred to, or volunteered to switch services? I wish I could remember exactly what I read ...

post-5143-0-84388800-1520174158_thumb.jpg

It totally looks like a 78th patch! How bizarre? Why would he apply an army patch to his marine coat? I am curious if the guy next to him a 78th Div soldier....patch is just enough out of sight to be unreadable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

world war I nerd

abqpropguy, can you post an enlargement of the shoulder patch worn by the soldier next to the Marine? Maybe someone will be able to ID it.

Looks like full size egas on collar too...not discs.

Former wartime unit patch then he served in marines? Hard to say but very interesting picture.