USAF Regular v. Miniature Rank Insignia

MrStiv

I’m writing some documentation regarding nonsubdued pin-on USAF rank insignia and came across some references to “miniature rank” and “metal style, miniature military rank” in the AFI36-2903 (updated as of February 2017). There are only a handful of mentions of miniature rank insignia, all related to placement below beret flashes of special units. But some sources are telling me that these smaller USAF metal rank insignia can be worn on other uniform components such as jackets/coats—but they didn’t know on which uniforms that might include.

For informational purposes, the length of the bars for a regular 2nd Lieutenant is an inch; the smaller one I have is between ¾ and 7/8 of an inch.

I was hoping someone here might be able to shed some light on the subject. Was there a time when the USAF had smaller insignia for female officers, for example?

Any info or even pointers to information sources would, as always, be greatly appreciated!

Unlike the Army, the USAF used smaller-sized metal officer grade insignia on shirt collars. This was primarily for the "1505" tan summer shirt, and also for a time in the early '70s on the light blue short sleeved shirt worn with dark blue trousers. The small grade devices were replaced by the slip-on shoulder marks in the late '70s.

At one time I posted an illustration from old regulations that shows the insignia measurements, but the forum is not allowing me to reattach it here, so you can see it in this thread:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/206751-miniature-ranks/&do=findComment&comment=1621448

Justin B.

As Justin said, the most common use of miniature officer rank was on the collar of the tan and later short sleeved blue shirts. I believe the regs also said generals are allowed to wear miniature stars on the flight cap.

As worn by Steve Keller, when he left the streets of San Francisco to go undercover on an Air Force base.

post-3982-0-36986800-1520028399.jpg

Straight from the 1951 Air Officer's Guide, Page 242, "Insignia of Grade. An officer's insignia of grade will be silver- or gold-colored metal or silver- or gold-colored wire embroidery. Regular-size insignia will be worn on shoulder loops with miniature-sized optional for wear on shirt collars when shirts are worn as outer garments."

MastersMate

In the FWIW department.. The Coast Guard adopted its current uniform by 1976. Being ever frugal, they adopted the USAF short and long sleeve light blue shirts. The short sleeve became undress blue and tropical blue.. Note the collar devices on the undress are oriented in the USN style vs the USAF style. Other than the cap a doctored photo of the USCG usage..

post-162267-0-61577100-1520042576_thumb.jpg

In the FWIW department.. The Coast Guard adopted its current uniform by 1976. Being ever frugal, they adopted the USAF short and long sleeve light blue shirts. The short sleeve became undress blue and tropical blue.. Note the collar devices on the undress are oriented in the USN style vs the USAF style. Other than the cap a doctored photo of the USCG usage..

How interesting that there were two uniforms there, where it seems like one would do. Were there two different shirt versions, one with loops for the shoulder boards? Also the one with the metal rank devices would get pin holes in the collar.

Thanks for the information!

Justin B.

MastersMate

The standard USAF short sleeve shirt was worn by enlisted crew with collar insignia as both undress blue and tropical blue. The tropical officer version had to have the loops for the shoulder marks sewn on or officers would buy the bit more expensive PX civilian made version. The long sleeve version was worn with undress blue winter and the service dress blue (coat & tie) uniform. On the undress version only name tags and qualification insignia were worn. On the long sleeve winter shirt only collar devices.. The collars had a plastic stiffening strip fitted inside the material. You could align the collar device so that it pierced the plastic strip and only needed 1 set of holes through the cloth..

The USAF changed the style of the style of the shirt in the mid/late 1980s to the current top button and shoulder straps, suitable for a necktie. The CG resisted until the very early 1990s when the old style was out of stock. Then the soft shoulder marks were adopted for officer and the collar devices for enlisted. The collar devices were oriented back to USAF style, parallel to the front edge of the collar..

The standard USAF short sleeve shirt was worn by enlisted crew with collar insignia as both undress blue and tropical blue. The tropical officer version had to have the loops for the shoulder marks sewn on or officers would buy the bit more expensive PX civilian made version. The long sleeve version was worn with undress blue winter and the service dress blue (coat & tie) uniform. On the undress version only name tags and qualification insignia were worn. On the long sleeve winter shirt only collar devices.. The collars had a plastic stiffening strip fitted inside the material. You could align the collar device so that it pierced the plastic strip and only needed 1 set of holes through the cloth..

The USAF changed the style of the style of the shirt in the mid/late 1980s to the current top button and shoulder straps, suitable for a necktie. The CG resisted until the very early 1990s when the old style was out of stock. Then the soft shoulder marks were adopted for officer and the collar devices for enlisted. The collar devices were oriented back to USAF style, parallel to the front edge of the collar..

Very interesting, thanks again! The USCG Historian's Office had some great information online about the '70s uniforms, but it seems to have disappeared in an "upgrade" of their websites.

Justin B.

As usual, thanks are in order for all the highly informative comments! Not only do I find an answer to my question, I had fun in the process~