Sometimes you get lucky

EGA-DOG

I spend a lot of time scouring the muster rolls. One Sunday morning I was sitting at my computer when I came across a 2nd Haitian medal number. Well, that particular number rang a bell. I knew I had seen it before. After looking on the internet, I finally found it. USMC 2nd Haitian Campaign Medal #241 was issued to Frank Urban. post-7989-0-66745500-1520010911.jpg

Frank Urban was born on October 16th, 1898 in Newark, NJ. He enlisted in the Marine Corps in March of 1917 for the duration of the war. Stationed in Haiti, he earned the 2nd Haitian Campaign Medal. Discharged also in 1919, he was issued Good Conduct Medal #20,893. Frank reenlisted in 1920 for 2 years, 1922 for 4 years, and 1927 for 4 years. Sadly, 1st Sergeant Urban passed away while on active duty January 17th, 1931 at League Island Hospital of. RIP First Sergeant Urban.post-7989-0-34093800-1520011538.jpg

Thank you. I just feel honored that I could put a name with a medal. Sad that there are so many numbered medals out there that we may never know who earned them.

Thank you for looking. Here is a list of his personal effects that were sent to his wife in Charleston. post-7989-0-30198700-1520019845.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Monday night I spotted a Good Conduct Medal on eBay that had reenlistment bars on it with a very vague description. So, I sent the seller a message asking him if the medal or bars were numbered. He finally got back to me the next day while I was in a safety meeting. The seller wrote that the medal was indeed rim numbered, and the bars were dated with the matching number. I quickly hit the BIN button.

I have Scott Smith's GCM list on my phone, my list as well. I tend to look at Scott's list first. His list stated that #20,893 was awarded to Bradford O. Tinley. But, I also noticed that GCM #20,910 was also awarded to Mr. Tinley. So which medal did Tinley get? After I got home, I was able to confirm that Mr. Tinley received GCM #20,910.

So, who received #20,893? This my friends is where it gets good. I checked my GCM list that I have been working on for years, and.........#20,893 was awarded to Frank Urban! I'm so glad that fate has reunited these two medals. The Haitian Campaign Medal came out of Charleston, SC. The GCM was from Hollywood, SC. I hope you guys enjoy this event as much as I have. This is why we collect. To preserve these veteran's legacies.

Brianpost-7989-0-08556300-1521146671.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

Maybe you should play the lottery, congrats that a great story.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

It's probably because it's almost St. Patrick's Day. Thank you guys for taking the time to read this post.

Brian Dentino

Wow, immediately the words from the song popped into my head "Reunited and it feels SO good."! Great detective work and a wonderful happenstance of luck just came your way Brian! Well done, now we can honor and remember this Marine for years to come. Excellent thread, and a great conclusion.

RIP and Semper Fi 1st Sgt. Urban.

Wow, immediately the words from the song popped into my head "Reunited and it feels SO good."! Great detective work and a wonderful happenstance of luck just came your way Brian! Well done, now we can honor and remember this Marine for years to come. Excellent thread, and a great conclusion.

RIP and Semper Fi 1st Sgt. Urban.

I sang the same song today. What a coincidence!