Summer Service Coat. 81st Div.

nchistory

Thoughts on Model 12 used so late? I've seen the use of the M-12 by several of the 81st. Tentative Id thoughts? Last train to Kannapolis, NC, and only one Cpl. from there in Company C, 321st. Robert W Sloop.

post-153086-0-58173500-1519955095_thumb.jpg

I have seen several patched 81st Division Model 12's? Is it possible they used them because they were stationed in the south when they returned home to Camp Jackson, SC in 1919?

world war I nerd

Chris, et al,

I don't have all the specification numbers for the WW 1 era (1916-1918) cotton service coats, but your coat is likely the service coat that matches Specification No. 1264, Olive Drab Cotton Breeches, adopted on August 6, 1917.

It was common for returning the returning AEF divisions that hailed from the states with a warmer climate, or from any state during the summer months, to be issued cotton service dress (coat & breeches) instead of wool.

if you keep an eye on such things you will notice a pattern showing that many (but not all) of the service coats bearing shoulder insignia from certain divisions, like the 81st, were mustered out of the army wearing cotton rather than wool service coats. This is typically just the result of the weather being hot at the time the soldier was discharged from the army.

Remember that for a variety of reasons, not every soldier posted to the same organization returned from Europe or was mustered out of the army at the same time - This probably explains why both wool & cotton service coats turn up with the same unit insignia on the shoulder.

Nice coat by the way.

Chris, et al,

I don't have all the specification numbers for the WW 1 era (1916-1918) cotton service coats, but your coat is likely the service coat that matches Specification No. 1264, Olive Drab Cotton Breeches, adopted on August 6, 1917.

It was common for returning the returning AEF divisions that hailed from the states with a warmer climate, or from any state during the summer months, to be issued cotton service dress (coat & breeches) instead of wool.

if you keep an eye on such things you will notice a pattern showing that many (but not all) of the service coats bearing shoulder insignia from certain divisions, like the 81st, were mustered out of the army wearing cotton rather than wool service coats. This is typically just the result of the weather being hot at the time the soldier was discharged from the army.

Remember that for a variety of reasons, not every soldier posted to the same organization returned from Europe or was mustered out of the army at the same time - This probably explains why both wool & cotton service coats turn up with the same unit insignia on the shoulder.

Nice coat by the way.

Thanks again.... Is your name Brian?? Either way, WW1 Nerd, you are undoubtedly the most knowledgeable in this field of collecting, always pleasant and willing to share your knowledge with others. You are an asset, and thank you for your response...

Chris