Fonts and strike styles..WWII to VN

KRIS FORD

I've noticed ALL sorts of variations..front deeply struck..to lightly (maybe machine was wearing out after cranking out a million or so?)

Light strike examples:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

DEEP strikes:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Even slight differences in fonts..what's the scoop on the machines that made them..I wonder if the strike depth was adjustable..or sometimes a crappy tag was just bumped out and just issued..we've seen gross errors left uncorrected..hell, my own Grandfather's tag has an upper case I in the service number on one tag..and the other tag has the top line of his name further out..but with correct SN#..!! And there's perfectly straight lines..and crooked ones..

I have to imagine there were NUMEROUS machines..at every base, Recruit Training Center..possibly even one on larger USN ships..(sure don't recall if the GW, CVN-73 had one or not..)

The variance of machines makes for nearly infinite possibilities!!

Here's 2 different font styles..2 different tags in this man's career:

s-l400.jpg

Obviously done on different machines.

Hi Chris - interesting topic. Another consideration is original versus reissue tags of the same era. I know when I was in, we got one pair issued at BRT, and then later ("permanent party") replacements were done on different machines. Same is true of WWII veterans I've spoken with, one example being Pacific Marines. One I knew had his original USMC oval set, and then a rounded rectangular pair he had made while on leave in Melbourne.

Hi Chris - interesting topic. Another consideration is original versus reissue tags of the same era. I know when I was in, we got one pair issued at BRT, and then later ("permanent party") replacements were done on different machines. Same is true of WWII veterans I've spoken with, one example being Pacific Marines. One I knew had his original USMC oval set, and then a rounded rectangular pair he had made while on leave in Melbourne.

Hi Blacksmith!

Yes..for repros..as long as it is made on a legit surplus machine..what you get is what you get! And is what I got..

I lost one of mine because I had it laced in my flight deck boot..(NOT just a Infantry thing, Navy damage control and flight deck crew have been doing it for years too! ;)) It was the embossed style, so should be easy to replace. Got rid of boots years back..and dang sure forgot to take it off! :(

BUT I'm trying to do a repro of my Gramps..it'd be near impossible to do an exact copy unless I could use the same exact machine that it was done on in 1952 LOL His also has a first name first format..I've seen some early 50's done that way..USMC and USN..and have to wonder if it was a San Diego thing.

I just got a matched set and will use the single for his shadow box. The set I got has a lighter strike than the original..which prompted some research.

It was done on a surplus machine..the font is correct, just lighter than the original..which we can see by examples is totally plausible. Those machines were put to work!

You may want to check around locally, and ask at the local surplus shop. There is a guy that comes to a local gun show on occasion, and uses original wartime machines to make dog tags - using original blanks. I think that's as close as you get. :)

Two of those tags you posted are mine lol :)

Ahh...beg my pardon..I was just searching for good examples and they popped up. :)

Simon Lerenfort

The Seniuk tags are worth commenting on, as in an older thread on the forum such widely spaced data on a tag would have been discounted as being a post war repro. So if we are now saying that it such are legit then it's even harder to be sure you are buying an original disc unless you get it from a vet, a very reliable source or find it in the ground!

The Seniuk tags are worth commenting on, as in an older thread on the forum such widely spaced data on a tag would have been discounted as being a post war repro. So if we are now saying that it such are legit then it's even harder to be sure you are buying an original disc unless you get it from a vet, a very reliable source or find it in the ground!

Those tags are 100% legit in my opinion. And they are not the tags I own.