SOS Treasures?

cwnorma

For those of us poor working stiffs who couldn't make it this year; did anyone who went come back with some nice new wing badges?

Please share if you did. I for one would love to see them!

Chris

5thwingmarty

I picked up a couple wings at the SOS. The only one I have photos of I can share right now is this Balloon Pilot wing. This is my first balloon wing of any kind. Not a name-brand wing but I like it.

post-96854-0-03869700-1519944398.jpg

post-96854-0-44546800-1519944406.jpg

Fantastic find :love: To my eyes, it sure looks to have strong similarities to the Josten made pattern. Thanks for sharing!

I'm with Patrick on both counts! Fantastic wing! Awesome addition to your collection 5thwingmarty.

But can that be the only wing-badge purchase/trade/find from the Show of Shows?!? Inconceivable!

5thwingmarty

Here are two more I picked up. Non-hallmarked Dodge Service Pilot and Hallmarked Lampl Pilot:

post-96854-0-40729900-1520101103_thumb.jpg

post-96854-0-06552200-1520101111_thumb.jpg

5thwingmarty

I also agree the balloon wing looks like a Josten wing on the front. I pulled the photo from Bob's site and compared my photo side by side and could find no differences in the retails in their fronts. The backs are completely different.

post-96854-0-31895900-1520101150_thumb.jpg

post-96854-0-02314200-1520101158_thumb.jpg

That Dodge style Liaison pilot is an extremely rare wing! I've been trying to find one of those for ages but they never show up for sale. What a find congrats Marty! That balloon wing is pretty sweet as well as the Lampl hallmarked pilot. Definitely was worth the trip if that's the caliber of wings you can find.

I picked up this WWI era USAS Pilot's coat at the SOS last week. It originally belonged to Lt. Barton Amos Emery who accepted his Commission on May 16th, 1918, and was assigned to both the 96th Aero Squadron and 163rd Aero Squadron after the war was over.

Emery1.jpg

Russ,

Now THAT is a handsome wing!

What a rare treat to see such a well preserved bullion badge. Lt Emery must have taken very good care of his uniform after the war. Bullion is seldom seen that tight after 100 years! It really gives a sense of how handsome these wings were when they were in active wear.

That uniform is a wonderful addition to the WW1 "wing" of your wing collection.

Chris

That is a nice wing. I picked up mine on ebay a few years ago. After the auction I accidently ran across some of the experts on another forum that were discussing the ebay auction and the consensus was that the wings were a fake (although to be fair the photos on the original auction were not great). see here: http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/aviation-history/discussion-us-wwi-bullion-wing-real-fake-16490/

What was nice about that is that I got it for an insanely low price, and not to impugn other collectors and their opinions, I just never saw a thing wrong with this wing. It is not fully trimmed but is right as rain. It is nice to see another autobiographical wing that was clearly made by the same person/company.

What is interesting about these wings is that the top bullion thread doesn't go all the way to the top of the shoulder. See the yellow arrow on mine points to the same area that is the same as on Russ' wing.

Sometimes the suggestion that you buy the item and not the story (or worse, the opinion of other collectors) is true. Over the years, I have developed my own list of criteria for bullion wings (which I love). If you are careful and patient, you can get some nice wings off of ebay, and (at least for bullion WWI wings) I haven't done that bad.

post-1519-0-81089000-1520279936_thumb.jpg