Why SO many USNR and USMCR tags in WW2?

KRIS FORD

Was just wondering when browsing thru..more tags than not seem to have USNR or USMCR..rather than of course just USN or USMC..can some one school me?

Wasn't taught when I was in the USN..the R was added after your EAOS was up, and you transferred to IRR.

Thanks!

That is how the enlistments were after a certain point in the war others will elaborate in more detail. You also were not in for the duration of the war, that could have been one long contract. I am pretty certain that my last ship would have preferred to keep me for the duration of the cruise we were on but they didn't.Ha ha.

From the USCG perspective..

Prior to WW2, the CG was a very small organization operating under the Treasury Department, basically a federal law enforcement organization at sea and a rescue agency ashore. It had about 10,500 officers and enlistedmen. A year prior to WW2 the government started to sense that war would be coming.

Legislation established the Coast Guard Reserve, which would be military in nature similar to the Naval Reserve. Enlistment Started in the Reserve and enlistment in the active component was suspended. With the war the Coast Guard grew to a total service of 171,500 officers and enlisted.. The vast reserve was enlisted for the duration and a set time after the end of the war.. After WW2 the CG reserve was re-utilized as a drilling component of the CG force. Reserve enlistments usually entailed 6 months initial active duty and then 5 1/2 years in a drilling reserve unit doing monthly weekend drills and a two week active duty of training period each year (summer camp). That met the 6 year requirement for military service. Active duty did 4 years and 2 years inactive duty to be discharged at 6 years.

General scuttlebutt held that the CG kept the 6 month reservists on initial active duty for just under the 180 day requirement. That way they were not eligible for the Viet Nam era GI Bill..

During WWII "Regular" enlistments for a specific term, i.e. 4, 6, years had a 'Regular' contract with an expiration date. Enlistees & draftees 'for the duration of the war plus 6 months' and Officers with Temporary commissions were considered Reservists. These were the vast majority that served so thats why so many USMCR & USNR. Hope this helps! Semper Fi........Bobgee

In general, the Regular Army, Navy, and Marines had a maximum legal number of people they could have. In time of war, these are augmented by the Reserves.