M1941 Johnson Semi-Automatic Rifle - How scarce and value?

THREEDFLYER

I am looking at a M1941 Johnson rifle for sale locally and have no knowledge of this weapon.

The rifle appears to be complete and in original condition. I do not believe the bayonet is included with the sale.

Would like any information on possible value and what to look for before making a purchase???

I have a buddy who owns a gun shop in the Seattle area who recently sold a similar condition Johnson rifle for $5,500 or a little more.

Thank you in advance,

Tom

Charlie Flick

Tom:

Legit, correct and unmonkeyed with Johnson Rifles are indeed scarce and, therefore, pricey items. For the kind of money they bring I suggest that it would be wise to invest beforehand in a copy of Bruce Canfield's book on the Johnson guns. You can get them at Amazon for about $50. I have a copy and think it is very worthwhile. You might save a lot of dough and headaches with some advance homework.

Good luck.

Johnson Rilfe Book by Canfield.jpg

Regards,

Charlie

THREEDFLYER

Today I was able to give the Johnson in consideration a much closer look.....I removed the barrel and found that the serial number on the barrel did not match that on the rifle.

Still both were 4-digit numbers, but not matching. I have read that this is not uncommon, and of course if the numbers were a match this would certainly bring a premium.

Thoughts?

suwanneetrader

I am looking at a M1941 Johnson rifle for sale locally and have no knowledge of this weapon.

The rifle appears to be complete and in original condition. I do not believe the bayonet is included with the sale.

Would like any information on possible value and what to look for before making a purchase???

I have a buddy who owns a gun shop in the Seattle area who recently sold a similar condition Johnson rifle for $5,500 or a little more.

Thank you in advance,

Tom

I'd get the Gun Shop owner buddy in Seattle to help. Richard

Tom

Johnsons were never manufactured with 'matching numbers' parts. Parts were made and numbered, then basically thrown in a bin. They were then picked out of the bin, and assembled . No regards for 'numbers'. That was the goal of interchangeable parts.

Some years ago I saw the original factory books that listed the serial numbers of the major parts groups for each rifle as they were assembled in the factory. Penciled in the books were the numbers of the parts groups used in each weapon. So if you find a matching number Johnson rifle, it is not an original piece as it left the factory.

Get Canfields book like Charlie recommends. Check the Johnsonautomatics forums.

Regards,

SteveT

johnsonlmg41

The book is a worthy investment. I have a few of them and LMG's as well. Most of the rifles I've seen have been messed with, some obvious, some subtle. Prices vary a lot, but if it looks good it generally brings more money even if messed with so there is no real financial penalty for that. None of the numbers should match. One of the guys on the Johnson forum has a list of the non-prefix serial number guns. In other words if the serial number starts with an A or B, they wont have the info. I would not call them scarce or rare, but they've become desirable in the last 20 years driving prices relatively high. Pleasure to shoot as the recoil system soaks up a lot of energy compared with other 30-06 guns. HTH

THREEDFLYER

The serial number on the receiver is 7790 and the barrel is stamped 0921G and has a "JA" and 30-06 stamped on it as well. There is also what appears to be some sort of proof stamp which is a circle with what appears to be a sword inside the circle and with a letter/number on each side.

Glad to learn that the number on barrels were not matched to the receiver.

Tom

THREEDFLYER

The barrel/bore appear to be in nearly new condition and the only thing I can see that may be in need of replacement is the bolt catch......it will not stay back when I pull the bolt fully rearward.

I see there are replacements out there for sale.

THREEDFLYER

CORRECTION: Upon further examination this Johnson is NOT fitted with a bolt catch.

From what I am reading on the Johnson Forum some of them did NOT have the feature and they were not originally manufactured with a bolt catch.

I am reading that some were ordered with them and the bolt catch was added.

This one being one of the first serial number runs most likely did not have one when it left the factory.

I noticed a "STAR" stamped on the right side above the Cranston symbol. I have seen that same star on several JSAR's being offered up for sale.

I'm usually on the edged weapon forum, but couldn't resist the Johnson topic, especially with your bayonets that you show. If you do not know, the standard scabbards have two variations. The one on the far right is the odd man out. (other than the Chilean? scabbard). It does not have the layer of leather at the mouth that the other three have. Here's my two.

Marv

post-26996-0-04228300-1520563430_thumb.jpg

THREEDFLYER

Bayonets run 350-400.

Just had one delivered from a buddy who owns a shop in Post Falls, ID and paid $400 shipped.....the scabbard is a bit frail and the tip has been slightly filed, but it's the real deal and I am glad to have found it.

It has a 4-digit number stamped in two locations, the numbers do not match. I was told the foreign used bayonets were numbered but need to verify.

I have the Canfield book on the way and look forward to taking this baby out to throw some lead down the pipe soon!

Brian Keith

Johnson's are cool! I happened upon one about 1979 for $500, picked it up. It was missing the bayonet lug but I got one installed. I paid the price to buy a bayonet for $50 a year or two later. Since I graduated from high school in 1978 and was a "poor" collage kid, that was a big investment for me. Oh, yea, I was under 21 when I bought a military issue high-powered semi-automatic rifle! I still have it!

BKW

Be careful of the magazine cover spring, I broke two!

Threedflyer

It is generally agreed that the numbered ones were used by the Dutch. The US Marine used ones are unmarked. If yours is numbered then you almost can be absolutely sure that it is a real Johnson bayonet. The reproductions are unmarked, so caution is to be taken when buying an unmarked Johnson bayonet.

Marv

THREEDFLYER

Threedflyer

It is generally agreed that the numbered ones were used by the Dutch. The US Marine used ones are unmarked. If yours is numbered then you almost can be absolutely sure that it is a real Johnson bayonet. The reproductions are unmarked, so caution is to be taken when buying an unmarked Johnson bayonet.

Marv

Marv,

That is what I was told by some other collectors. One fellow from the Johnson forum contacted me and live in my area and has 4 or 5 of the Johnson variations including a semi-auto version of the Johnson LMG which I hope to check out.

Brian from the Johnson Forum ran my serial number and was able to tell me what the part numbers were on the rifle when it left the factory.....a few of the numbers still match but other parts have been replaced over time.

I am just very pleased to have found one that is still in 100% military configuration with authentic parts and not sporterized in any way.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend was selling his Johnson rifle because of illness but thought he might hang on to it for a while. He said when asked how much, he threw a "ridiculously high price of 5500 without the bayonet". His friend pulled out a checkbook and paid.

THREEDFLYER

A friend was selling his Johnson rifle because of illness but thought he might hang on to it for a while. He said when asked how much, he threw a "ridiculously high price of 5500 without the bayonet". His friend pulled out a checkbook and paid.

Recently a friend of mine in the Seattle area who owns a small gun shop sold a Johnson rifle in good shape but without the bayonet for $6,000 and the buyer was thrilled to have it. I am told that these guns are averaging $5,500 to $6,500 in good condition even without bayonets.

Sorry to hear about your friend selling because of illness, hope it's not too serious.

Unfortunately he has passed. He had a great collection of trapdoors.

Sorry I hit report instead of reply on my phone. Dang bifocals.

THREEDFLYER

Unfortunately he has passed. He had a great collection of trapdoors.

Sorry I hit report instead of reply on my phone. Dang bifocals.

Sorry for your loss Doc, I have lost a few myself......even a few I never met in person, but knew through forum posts, emails and phone calls......

Trapdoors are very cool, I own a couple rifles and one saddle ring carbine.

Tom

Thanks Tom,

"Internet friends" can become very close. I have lost a few also.

Trapdoors are neat. I never had time to photograph his collection and now it's been broken up. I would guess he had about 30 but I did not count them.

I bought an extra one from him years ago. I should not have been surprised my sons like shooting traps and rolling blocks so much as I do too. Until I got that one I had neglected part of their education.