Another strange WWI uniform feature

CW4AFB

Man, sometimes calling these things uniforms (meaning all the same) is a misnomer---

whenever I add a new one to my collection, I give it a good lookover to see what is hidden---

sometimes I find buttons that open to reveal pictures, or a stash of cigar bands, or train tickets etc,

but this one today is way different--

the front pockets on the trousers -commercially made in Wash DC--felt funny when put my hands in them--so I turned the trousers inside out and look at what I found---the tailor (or the soldier) had used the heavy coarse bank bags used to carry coins to either strengthen the pocket or reuse some material that was lying around.

It reminds me of the stuff we used to buy in Korea in the early 80s---you'd get a suit that was perfectly tailored and then you'd look in the sleeve lining and there would be all sorts of different material and colors--nothing wasted...ever...

post-2235-0-43232300-1519690746_thumb.jpg

I have a couple pockets that have been reinforced by extra material, but nothing this unusual. I agree with Hunt! This is a great example, even without the money! MHJ

This thread of unusual features finally reminded me of another uniform I have with a unique feature also---

as you can see,

it is a nice, standard 5th Amphibious Corps sergeant's coat--

no ribbons, no EGAs, just a name and a nice twill patch---

but when you look deeper into the inside of the coat, look what you find---the tailor has used scraps of two-side camo HBT cloth to seal the lining.

Anybody else have anything like this in their collection?

post-2235-0-22138900-1520003398_thumb.jpg

post-2235-0-10297500-1520003437_thumb.jpg

and from the pocket on the other side--with the green side out---The more I think about it, the more I like this---it shows real frugality during time of war and that nothing should be wasted...a lesson for all of us...

Al

post-2235-0-97046200-1520003562_thumb.jpg

Rakkasan187

Al,

I have a WW2 Marine uniform with the same type of 2 sided camo being used on the inside to reinforce seams and such.. Very interesting and agree with all comments that nothing was wasted during wartime..

Leigh

Man, sometimes calling these things uniforms (meaning all the same) is a misnomer---

whenever I add a new one to my collection, I give it a good lookover to see what is hidden---

sometimes I find buttons that open to reveal pictures, or a stash of cigar bands, or train tickets etc,

but this one today is way different--

the front pockets on the trousers -commercially made in Wash DC--felt funny when put my hands in them--so I turned the trousers inside out and look at what I found---the tailor (or the soldier) had used the heavy coarse bank bags used to carry coins to either strengthen the pocket or reuse some material that was lying around.

It reminds me of the stuff we used to buy in Korea in the early 80s---you'd get a suit that was perfectly tailored and then you'd look in the sleeve lining and there would be all sorts of different material and colors--nothing wasted...ever...

Is that the silver lining I'm always hearing about?

I love seeing stuff like this. Thanks for showing it.

Mikie

Al,

I have a WW2 Marine uniform with the same type of 2 sided camo being used on the inside to reinforce seams and such.. Very interesting and agree with all comments that nothing was wasted during wartime..

Leigh

Leigh--same thing happened during the Depression---they recycled everything--the wax paper bags that cereal came in were transformed into sandwich baggies, scrap wood was harvested for nails---we could learn a lot from them still today on how to save and conserve.

Al

MastersMate

Concerning nothing being wasted in wartime, an item from the Coast Guard Bulletin of February 1943 announcing the new uniform for Coast Guard shore establishments. It seems that the availability and the quantity of material in the sailors uniform was a consideration in adopting the new style uniform..

post-162267-0-80107100-1520123414.jpg

Unserviceable cotton uniforms were used to supply Crane and Company with raw materials to make paper for US paper money during the war.

Unserviceable cotton uniforms were used to supply Crane and Company with raw materials to make paper for US paper money during the war.

Lettow--that's pretty cool--I never knew that....I thought it was pretty cool that the AEF collected campaign hats from units arriving in France and re-pulped them to make slippers for hospital patients...waste nothing...

Al

I've seen one other usmc uniform with camo used in places.

Well that makes three of us--so obviously, it was more than a "just this once" occurrence...

Al

• 2 weeks later...

And now I'm doing it again----going through the uniform of an Advance Sector Doughboy, I found this unintentional anomaly --- the original manufacturer has inadvertently sewn the bottom corner of the trouser pocket to the opposite upper corner---creating a very hard to use triangular pocket---so the real questions are:

1. Why didn't the soldier cut the thread and give himself a functional pocket---Wouldn't you? The pants are well-worn so it's not like he got these thrown at him on the way out the door at the Demob station.

2. What kind of Quality control did the manufacturer have if his folks were sewing pockets together?

Al

post-2235-0-50687200-1521589990_thumb.jpg

It's now officially a conspiracy---look at the inside of the front pockets of these commercially-purchased trousers---what the heck is going on with all of these unique things inside WWI uniforms?---What did Pershing know? and when did he know it?

post-2235-0-16619200-1521760153_thumb.jpg

post-2235-0-52783800-1521760201_thumb.jpg

and the other front pocket is made from material that says "Manufactured by Cotton Mills 30 Yds"

Talk me off the ledge and tell this normal re-use of material....

post-2235-0-81804300-1521760415_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

CW4AFB- Thank you for sharing. These are very interesting finds. I have a tiny collection and had no luck flipping the pocket.