B-24 tail gunner, 67th Bomb Squadron 44th Bomb Group "The Flying Eightballs"

MattS

I just got this small grouping from the family of S/Sgt William E. J/o/h/n/s/o/n of Indiana. He went into service in September of 1942, trained at Camp Lee, VA, Albuquerque, NM, took Aerial Gunnery in Texas, and finished training at Lowry Field, in Denver, CO. He shipped overseas and was assigned to the 67th BS of the 44th BG at Shipdham. His first combat mission was on January 31st, 1944, (Group Mission #86) to Braunschweig, Germany. His normal assignment was the tail gun, but he also filled in at other positions during his 32 missions. His last was on June 6th, 1944, in support of the D-Day Invasion where his group struck targets around Colleville and St. Laurent. He rotated back to the states and was discharged in September of 1945 with a DFC and Air Medal with 2 OLCs. He developed a malignant brain tumor shortly after the war and sadly passed away in 1953 at age 32. Somewhere along the way, the family received replacements for the GCM, EAME, ACM, and Victory medals (none are engraved). His leather flight jacket was stolen during the years, and his uniform reduced to loose buttons and a few patches. This is all that remains, but I'm proud to be able to preserve his memory.

post-32676-0-10023100-1519657781_thumb.jpg

Thanks! I think the faded out Unit Citation with the OLC is English made, there's a much bluer replacement one in with the ribbons for the replacement medals.

A very nice grouping indeed. I have visited and walked Shipdham myself several times. You can almost hear the echos of the engines when you are there.....

-Ski

Thanks for the comments! While going through the box of buttons and ribbons, I came across this medal that I initially didn't think belonged. Turns out it's a French "Forty and Eight" medal, so named for the boxcars that carried American POWs that were rated for 40 men or 8 horses. I only knew about this from the excellent display at the National Museum of the USAF. Anyway, not sure why he had it with his other medals as I don't see where he was shot down at any time. Still neat though. The clutchback (or frog, or dammit) is for scale.

post-32676-0-20414100-1519668320_thumb.jpg

Hi Matt,

Lovely grouping, we 'spoke' via the 44th Bomb Group FB page, really lovely medal and paperwork set there, great work.

Cheers Dave

My pleasure,

Enjoy researching S/sgt. Johnson, he had a great mission record as you've found out and I was sorry to hear he passed so young after the war but this is a lovely grouping and a nice legacy of his service, nice one.

Cheers Dave

• 3 weeks later...