Plastic Son in Service pin

prestoncohunter

prestoncohunter

My wife found this the other day in her Mother's jewelry box and it would have been my wife's grandmother's. Anyway it's a plastic with rhinestone pin that looks like a Son in Service pin. Would this have been homemade, or purchased. I have seen a few of the metal ones but haven't seen many of these on the web.

Any information is appreciated, as always.

post-167837-0-26629900-1519575933.jpg

trenchrat1918

This was a commercially made piece of jewelry that would have been sold at your local dime store or general store. I would think there would have been a card full of these on the counter to attract the eye of the housewife buying groceries at the local store. She could buy a service pin for her coat with the change left over from her shopping.

Here are a couple of examples from my collection to give you an idea how they would have been sold. Sorry, not the exact pin.

post-160250-0-08598600-1519582526_thumb.jpg

post-160250-0-07472100-1519582542_thumb.jpg

Very nice piece, even better with a family connection. i would put some research on who they were with it. I have many of them that are unattributed, but very few that I knew who they belonged to.

Great store display cards too!

prestoncohunter

We are assuming since the metal one was in my FILs box it was his mothers and the plastic one was in my MILs that it was her mothers. Both sides had multiple sons in the service during WW2.

I am in the process of getting the service photo's of all the brothers in frames to display. We have some studio shots and some in dress uniforms but "on location" including one Uncle in Germany.