5th Army Italian made

iron bender

Patchcollector

Nice example.I like the Italian made pieces.Unless I'm mistaken,the Italian theatre made patches were actually also made during the War,as opposed to being made just postwar.There are several different variations.Here's a bullion one I posted awhile back.Sellers pics.

post-13386-0-23781700-1519501416_thumb.jpg

Garth Thompson

Recent pick up.

attachicon.gifIMG_1586.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1587.JPG

Nice italian theater made example of what is called the tapestry weave unique to the italian campaign. Here are some examples of other units that can be found. There are also British units done in the same way.

post-83-0-58651100-1520090191_thumb.jpg

post-83-0-70983100-1520090202_thumb.jpg

I hope the forum members realize how luck we are that Garth posted these patches. One is absolutely impossible to find and that is the 61st Cav, and to see the back which is not even in Kellers book is just the cherry on the cake. The other difficult one is the Italian woven 1st SSF. The 61st maybe the first ever shown on the web! Thanks you Garth!

BILL THE PATCH

Man O Man they are nice. Thanks for showing. That 61st is scarcer then hens teeth I would imagine.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Hate to burst all these bubbles, but the 61st Cav Div patch is not Italian made. It was an OR unit prior to the war, and existed on paper only for all intents and purposes until it was inactivated early in the months of the war.

This is an example of a US made woven insignia, like the WW 1 Liberty Loans and the woven WW 2 EM chevrons. This was just made by a different manufacturer.

Look more closely at the weave pattern, and to a lesser extent, the back - missing a type of stabilizer (II Corps does not have it). This stabilizer is most easily seen on the armored force patch.

I have a woven 61st Cav Div that more closely resembles a LL than this one does. TDY and unable to post.

FWIT, the 61st Cav Div has a number of patch variations, unusual for an interwar unit, more so as an interwar OR unit.

The remainder of the patches are all desirable woven Italian made patches, with the FSSF being the best.