Named Purple Heart (Help in Research)

Berzotti*

Hi everyone,

I got this medal about 10 years ago, the fact that it is a common name and my difficulty with the language has always been an arduous task for my research. In NARA there are several names as you can imagine, but in none of them it is a KIA or WIA. Maybe in some document that the friends have some information that can help me.

I would be very grateful.

Marcio

post-284-0-69160300-1519483003_thumb.jpg

I did find one wounded Andrew J. Rogers from WW1. I don't know if the Purple Heart is his or not, but I'll post what I have.

Publication:

Bridgeport Standard Telegram February 10, 1919

w1.jpg

Here is the Wounded in Action certificate that was issued to ANDREW J. ROGERS of the 312th Infantry during World War I, signed by Woodrow Wilson.

Note: Sold For: $49.99 USD - Date: 4/3/16 - Channel: Online Auction - Source: eBay

w1.jpg

Here is a WWII possibility from the July 15, 1945 edition of the Chicago Tribune. I recently ran into the same problem with an officially hand engraved PH with a relatively common name. Good luck!

n6yhr6.jpg

aznation and kkevin2004, I'm very grateful!

We really are not sure it's one of them, but you given me hope.

I was lost, now I already have a way to go.

Marcio

In the image kkevin posted he describes: "three nortwest soldiers earned their purple heart", addressing for states Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming and Alaska. In the NARA listing, only one of them is from one of these locations. So we know that the soldier of news in the Chicago tribune is the private of Army Serial Number: 39216849. Now, if the medal was his ... it's another story. research continue!

Just a thought but I think “northwest” in the newspaper article refers to the northwest area of either Chicago or Cook County.

Glad you’re able to start narrowing down the list of names! It can be quite a challenge.

I agree with Bruce. All of the soldiers listed in the article I posted are most likely from the metro Chicago area.

Kevin

Sometimes I forget the magnitude of the USA involvement in the war and the amount of citizens who have been sent to service overseas. I will continue in the searches.

Thank you

Marcio

Just adding on...I believe Kevin and Bruce are correct about "northwest"...There's actually a "Northwestern University" that's a very good school, located to the northwest of Chicago. It wasn't until I was writing my book that talked about men going through officer training at Northwestern during WW2 that I actually put everything together and figured out that Northwestern is located near Chicago...definitely no where near the "real" Northwest that people from our country's West Coast (like me) actually conisder to be the "one and only" northwest! :D

BigJohn#3RD

I hate to be the one to rain on a parade or muddy the waters, but the engraving style seems to be the machine engraved style seen in 1952 on; machine engraved all letters uniform hight and on a single line for the recipient. The earliest engraving that I have for Korean War KIA in 1950 issued in early 51 is on two lines machine engraved similar to WW2 style. I have a Purple Heart issued to a WWI veteran on 30 December 1953, for wounds that he received on 19 September 1918 with the same style as yours posted in your post above. Luckily, mine came with campaign medal, commemorative medal, and pictures of the veteran. I was surprised the AGO card for the issue of the medal was dated 1953. But I also have another Purple Heart, certificate and medal issued to a WWI veteran in 1965 along with the original shipping box and WW2 Coffin Case. If you think this guy is a WWI veteran have you requested his AGO Card to see when it was issued to him?

The recipient could have been WIA in WWI, WIA, MIA or KIA WW2 or WIA, MIA or KIA during the Korean War.
More experienced collectors on this forum can speak with more authority than I have on the subject.

I hate to be the one to rain on a parade or muddy the waters, but the engraving style seems to be the machine engraved style seen in 1952 on; machine engraved all letters uniform hight and on a single line for the recipient. The earliest engraving that I have for Korean War KIA in 1950 issued in early 51 is on two lines machine engraved similar to WW2 style. I have a Purple Heart issued to a WWI veteran on 30 December 1953, for wounds that he received on 19 September 1918 with the same style as yours posted in your post above. Luckily, mine came with campaign medal, commemorative medal, and pictures of the veteran. I was surprised the AGO card for the issue of the medal was dated 1953. But I also have another Purple Heart, certificate and medal issued to a WWI veteran in 1965 along with the original shipping box and WW2 Coffin Case. If you think this guy is a WWI veteran have you requested his AGO Card to see when it was issued to him?

The recipient could have been WIA in WWI, WIA, MIA or KIA WW2 or WIA, MIA or KIA during the Korean War.

More experienced collectors on this forum can speak with more authority than I have on the subject.

Great assessment Big John! You've fully enumerated the possibilities. I agree that the engraving dates to early 1950's. Bobgee

• 2 weeks later...

Just adding on...I believe Kevin and Bruce are correct about "northwest"...There's actually a "Northwestern University" that's a very good school, located to the northwest of Chicago. It wasn't until I was writing my book that talked about men going through officer training at Northwestern during WW2 that I actually put everything together and figured out that Northwestern is located near Chicago...definitely no where near the "real" Northwest that people from our country's West Coast (like me) actually conisder to be the "one and only" northwest! :D

Really Dave, I was kind of naive.Really Dave, I was kind of naive. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help BigJohn, I did not know the details about the types of recording, I also have no idea what AGO Card, I will research more about it.
Thank you all for your contributions.

Marcio