Great Reunite - WWI Purple Heart and 1902 Officer's Sword

Orion27

New to the forum, been collecting for decades. Thought I'd share this one. Recently purchased a medal group of four (Purple Heart, Mexican Border Service, WWI Vic, NY state WWI medal). The Purple Heart is correct WWI issue (wrap brooch, numbered) and named to Claude H. Spicer.

This is a reunite as I already have his 1902 Officer's Sword. The sword is dedicated to him on the scabbard and named to him on the blade!

C.H. Spicer served on the Mexican Border with Company M, 3rd NY Regiment under Capt. Mead in 1916 as a Private.

Promoted Corporal 1917.

Promoted Sgt. 1917.

Called to Federal Service, April 1917.

Commissioned 2nd Lt. at New Port News May 1918

Commanded Company F, 108th Infantry (27th DIvision) at the Battle of LeSelle River (St. Souplet) and was wounded severely in the left thigh on Oct. 17, 1918. (Almost lost his leg.) Three bars on his vic medal (DS, Ypres-Lys, Somme Offensive)

Commissioned 1st Lt. 1920

Took command Company I, 108th Infantry 1927.

Promoted Captain 1928.

Promoted Major 1943.

Commanded Co. I, 108th Infantry at Fort McClellan Alabama 1940-41 on 27th Division maneuvers.

Served in WWII with Military Police Bn. at Fort Dix, NJ. He did not go overseas with 108th (probably a bit too old) but they kept his name. Throughout WWII, Company I, 108th Infantry called themselves "Spicer's Spooks". They served in the Pacific.

In addition to serving with the NYNG, Spicer was also Sgt. of the Guard at Auburn Prison in Auburn, NY. This is the same prison where the first electric chair execution in the world took place.

Spicer earned the Class IV, III, II and I (and further bars for 30 and 35 years) NYNG Long and Faithful Service Medal. This medal is missing. It would be in gold (big bucks!) He is on of only 294 people to earn the 35 year bar.

I've gotten lots of information from the Cayuga (NY) County Historian. I am also in touch with the Cayuga County Historical Museum. They have a bunch of stuff and are gathering it for me. Hope to get soon.

In addition to these museums I've found 50+ articles about him online (newspapers, NYNG magazines, etc.). Many of his WWI letters home were printed in the Auburn (NY) Times. Other articles include pieces about his trench knife on display at a local store, his receiving the PH from Maj.Gen. O'ryan at the 1932 27th Div reunion in Buffalo, and his tonsils being removed. There is nothing quite like a small town newspaper for recording interesting details of local "celebrities".

Several medals are obviously missing. He claimed a NY State Mexican Border Service medal (there's an article about that), he obviously is entitled to a few medals for WWII. The biggest missing one is his gold Long Service medal. They were solid gold and made by Tiffany's. An unattributed one sells for $3000+. Anyone seen his?

His sword is engraved with his name on the blade (Claude H. Spicer) and the scabbard is engraved; "Presented to Capt. C.H. Spicer by the Officer's and Men of Co. I. 108th Inf. N.Y.N.G. July 1934". The sword is in pristine condition. They scabbard has lost a lot of plating. May have it re-plated at some point.

Thought others might like to hear about this super reunite!

post-177506-0-65989700-1519236126_thumb.jpg

post-177506-0-77350000-1519236265_thumb.jpg

NO!!!!!!!!! Don't ruin it!

I wouldn't normally, but it is a mess. Every time I touch it more flakes off. Anyway to stabilize it? The etching on the blade is nicer quality than many 1902s I've seen. It is marked Ridabock, NY.

post-177506-0-54874900-1519263524_thumb.jpg

Really excellent group! Yes, it is unfortunate that the scabbard is in such poor condition, I think replating it would mean the inscription would be buffed off, thus removing much of it's provable history. It would also look too new and "wrong". It is what it is.

Thanks for posting them!

BKW

Auburn Citizen from Nov. 11, 1918 (Armistice Day). They have Spicer as a Captain but he was only a Lieutenant. Colonel Jennings (upper left) and Spicer would be linked for a long time. In 1929 Jennings was Warden at Auburn Prison and Spicer was Sgt. of the Guard. Jennings was taken hostage during the 1929 Auburn Prison Riot. Spicer, putting on his NYNG uniform, was called out to put down the riot and rescue Jennings.

post-177506-0-16515700-1519317996_thumb.jpg

Found this Roster of Company M, 3rd NY Infantry (soon to be the 108th Infantry). Spicer is a Sergeant so it was made after they left NY but before the left for France. Probably at Camp Wadsworth, SC.

post-177506-0-69755500-1520615061_thumb.jpg