Another new WWII Movie by Tom Hanks

Retired Army Noncom

Isn't the third WWII miniseries from Tom Hanks and Steven Speilberg suppossed to come out soon? I think it's called "Masters of the Air?" But I'm excited another WWII movie is coming out, especially from Tom Hanks.

Jacob

tdogchristy90

Isn't the third WWII miniseries from Tom Hanks and Steven Speilberg suppossed to come out soon? I think it's called "Masters of the Air?" But I'm excited another WWII movie is coming out, especially from Tom Hanks.

Jacob

Yes, Masters of the Air is still in the works. Hanks also has the movie called Greyhound that he is also working on.

Glad the airborne is finally getting some recognition.... lol

We have never had a movie about the Airborne, especially on D-Day.

In all seriousness though we should be happy that they are making movies around this area of history at all.

Hunt

Retired Army Noncom

We have never had a movie about the Airborne, especially on D-Day.

In all seriousness though we should be happy that they are making movies around this area of history at all.

Hunt

Quite a bit was part of The Longest Day, both US and British Para and don't forget A Bridge Too Far also (different operation but still almost all airborne). Quite a bit had to be cut from the Longest Day due to time restrictions. They shot a complete scene sequence of the taking of the Melville Battery and they had to cut it. It was either that or cut the taking and holding of Pegasus Bridge.

Quite a bit was part of The Longest Day, both US and British Para and don't forget A Bridge Too Far also (different operation but still almost all airborne). Quite a bit had to be cut from the Longest Day due to time restrictions. They shot a complete scene sequence of the taking of the Melville Battery and they had to cut it. It was either that or cut the taking and holding of Pegasus Bridge.

It was sarcasm, I keep telling myself it's hard to translate sarcasm over on the computer! But it's important to note The Longest Day, and A Bridge Too Far are both superior movies that I would recommend!

Hunt

Retired Army Noncom

It was sarcasm, I keep telling myself it's hard to translate sarcasm over on the computer! But it's important to note The Longest Day, and A Bridge Too Far are both superior movies that I would recommend!

Hunt

Hunt...you know any special trivia about the Longest Day?

Hanks also has the movie called Greyhound that he is also working on.

If it is the one I heard about, it is based on a C.S. Forester novel.

Hunt...you know any special trivia about the Longest Day?

No I do not, I watched the movie a long time ago so I don't remember too much about it to be honest, I enjoyed the film though.

Hunt

Retired Army Noncom

No I do not, I watched the movie a long time ago so I don't remember too much about it to be honest, I enjoyed the film though.

Hunt

The actor that played Maj John Howard in the movie, The Longest Day, segment where the Ox and Bucks gliders landed and took the bridge over the Caen Canal was Richard Todd. During the actual operation, he was a Cpt in the 7th Para Regt who on foot made to the bridge with his company to re-enforce Major Howard's Ox and Bucks.

I collected British Para while in Germany and I owned in my collection the battle dress that belonged to a Cpl Kane, Ox and Bucks who assaulted Melville Battery.

There was a myth story that when Todd made it to the bridge he met an officer named Sweeny. He said "Sweeny" Todd said "Todd". This related to the infamous barber during Victorian times named Sweeny Todd.

You can do a search about that fellow but, in Todd's battalion there was a Sweeny and the unit mail clerk couldn't remember who was who and they did have to meet up occasionally to swap mail.

Frenchy, a back in the 90s, updated that bridge with a new bridge. The actual bridge is now located in the opposite field from where the three Horsa gliders landed that early morning. That was a landing worthy of the history books!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The actor that played Maj John Howard in the movie, The Longest Day, segment where the Ox and Bucks gliders landed and took the bridge over the Caen Canal was Richard Todd. During the actual operation, he was a Cpt in the 7th Para Regt who on foot made to the bridge with his company to re-enforce Major Howard's Ox and Bucks.

I collected British Para while in Germany and I owned in my collection the battle dress that belonged to a Cpl Kane, Ox and Bucks who assaulted Melville Battery.

There was a myth story that when Todd made it to the bridge he met an officer named Sweeny. He said "Sweeny" Todd said "Todd". This related to the infamous barber during Victorian times named Sweeny Todd.

You can do a search about that fellow but, in Todd's battalion there was a Sweeny and the unit mail clerk couldn't remember who was who and they did have to meet up occasionally to swap mail.

Frenchy, a back in the 90s, updated that bridge with a new bridge. The actual bridge is now located in the opposite field from where the three Horsa gliders landed that early morning. That was a landing worthy of the history books!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you still have his battle dress? Thanks for the facts as well!

Hunt

Retired Army Noncom

Do you still have his battle dress? Thanks for the facts as well!

Hunt

Nope..long gone. The battle-dress came from his son but not directly to me. I bought it from a military shop in England. Sold all the stuff before I left Germany. I had a few battlefield pick-ups from Operation Market drop zones that a Dutch friend gave me. British drop canister for one.

Nope..long gone. The battle-dress came from his son but not directly to me. I bought it from a military shop in England. Sold all the stuff before I left Germany. I had a few battlefield pick-ups from Operation Market drop zones that a Dutch friend gave me. British drop canister for one.

Oh, definitely a cool piece to have, hopefully it is in a good place.

Hunt

Retired Army Noncom

Oh, definitely a cool piece to have, hopefully it is in a good place.

Hunt

That was 22 years ago when I left Germany for the last time...memory isn't that good anymore.

I wish now I had everything I ever collected....I'd be rich!!!

That was 22 years ago when I left Germany for the last time...memory isn't that good anymore.

I wish now I had everything I ever collected....I'd be rich!!!

Good point, I have only been collecting for a little bit but I could see how if you have a lot of similar items in your collection you definitely would be rich!

Hunt