Instant collection: musket balls dug M1 slugs bomb mortar fragments

Bob Hudson

The musket balls are mostly about 50 cal as far as I can tell, with a few larger balls up to about 65 cal or so.

The bomb fragments are heavy and sharp: some vicious heavy metal for sure.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

These came from a collector who had long ago bought many pounds of this stuff. There was a lot more variety of dug stuff that included en bloc clips, stripper clips, lots of rusted dug parts, etc.

There are a few items that appear to be fuses or some such thing.

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

That one on the left is definitely a bullet, rifling marks, a cannelure in the middle probably a steel core round. I can't tell from the pic what caliber. The pipe like piece I have no clue

Is this all from a European battlefield or a military range here in the states? I ask because I'm curious if the musket balls may not be from a 75mm canister.

The large slug with the rifling marks is a .50 round with a steel core, as noted. It could be AP, API--as the tip has been opened, or APIT as the dirt obscures the tracer cavity if one is there. If it is AP or API, then the rear end of the steel core will be immediately evident where the dirt is. IF the cavity--with the dirt removed--extends into the bullet jacket, then it is most likely APIT.

...then it is most likely APIT.

Thanks for those leads: for others, like me, who hadn't heard these terms before, APIT is not something inside a peach, it is "Armor Piercing Incendiary Tracer"