83rd/8th Armored Ike - Leadership Stripes & German Made Thunderbolt Tab

MasonK

Acquired this through Facebook Marketplace. Seller's grandson found it in a vacant house he was rehabbing.

Unfortunately, no name or laundry # in the uniform. I've asked the seller to obtain the address of the home in hopes of linking it back to the vet.

Sad, because it's a really nice uniform. Leadership stripes on both sleeves below the 1st Sgt chevrons.

Left shoulder is an 8th Armored Division SSI, with nice cross stitching. Right shoulder is an 83rd Infantry Division SSI, with German made Thunderbolt tab.

Would it be safe to say he was with the 53rd Armored Engineer Battalion (8th Armored)? Or would the 8th AD be his going home division, and he was with the 308th Engineer Combat Battalion (83rd Div)?

See quite a few uniforms with the 83rd being transferred to Armored Divisions. What is the link between the two?

Thanks for looking, and thanks in advance for any comments!

post-29885-0-92128000-1519051506_thumb.jpg

post-29885-0-76485700-1519051513_thumb.jpg

First time I can say that I seen this with WWII Collar Discs, curious to know how this was achieved this grey/steel like appearance of the disc devices.

post-29885-0-47739000-1519051656.jpg

First time I can say that I seen this with WWII Collar Discs, curious to know how this was achieved this grey/steel like appearance of the disc devices.

post-29885-0-47739000-1519051656.jpg

Not sure, Patches. The US looks almost like the bronze was removed somehow. I suppose the same could be said for the engineer castle?

Not sure, Patches. The US looks almost like the bronze was removed somehow. I suppose the same could be said for the engineer castle?

A neat trick if that's the case.