460th Fighter Interceptor Squadron Cave Tigrim Patch plus Extras

McDermut99

Picked this little group up earlier today. The patch is cut-edge, dating it to the WWII-1950’s period. I believe the decals date to the late 1940’s at latest. I looked up the unit and they first flew F-89’s and F-102’s out of Portland and later F-106’s out of Grand Forks Air Force Base. What I am curious about is why did another patch almost exactly like this one sell for nearly $100? Are the earlier cut-edge versions more desirable than later versions?

Any comments are welcome!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As a generality older is usually rarer and command more money. Fighter Interceptor sq patches from this time period are well sort after and can bring big money.

Your patch is a late 50s era one I believe. All 460 FIS variations I have seen are cut edge, I have 7 different ones. You version is a bit harder to find than some others, maybe that's why the other went high. The decals are 50s era as well. The first version of the 460 FIS from 1954 was green like your decal. I'll post mine here as well. Like Morty said, FIS stuff can go pretty good.

Randy

post-8832-0-93952800-1518974261.jpg

• 9 months later...