U.D.T. Boat Questions

MECHINF-A15

After watching the old John Ford movies "Operation Pacific" and "They Were Expendable" this past week this "Old Army Grunt" got on a WWII U.S. Navy kick. The other day on a trip to Michael's I bought an old reissue model kit of the U.D.T. Boat by Revell. I thought it make for a neat update build. Searching on the web I could find little information on this craft which leads me to ask for some information and help.

1. What was the official designation?

2. Any good sources for period photos and information?

Any information would be appreciated and many thanks in advance!

Mike

post-169074-0-18184700-1518910497.jpg

The LCP( R ) was a modified version of the LCP. The bow got blunter and became a ramp. There was a connecting passage between the well deck compartment and the ramp that allowed troops to exit from the bow of the boat. The twin machine gun positions were located similarly to those on the LCP. There was an inner safety door that separated the bow ramp from the interior well deck to prevent unintended flooding of the boat. The boat was also made of wood with a ¼-inch thick “armor” plate attached to the sides of the craft.

Both LCP and LCP( R ) were used to drop off and pickup swimmers. To do this, the LCP or LCP( R ) [and later LCPL] moved parallel to the beach with and IBS lashed along side. Swimmers would go over the side of the LCP or LCPR, into the raft, and would roll-off into the water for insertions. For extractions, a husky UDT man would man the raft holding what looked like an oversized tennis racket without strings. The swimmers would line-up at a given interval, one behind the other, and hold up their arms. As the pick-up boat moved down the line the swimmers stuck their arms into the “tennis racket” and were hauled onto the IBS lashed to the side of the moving boat. The swimmer would exit the raft for the pick-up boat to allow another swimmer to be recovered.

This means of extraction was used from the end of World War 2 through the Korean War and into the 1960s. However, the method exposed the boat, crew, and swimmers to hostile fire (the pickup boat was limited to 12 knots) and swimmers readily sustained injuries while being brought aboard. In the early 1960’s the Navy fielded two gas turbine-driven boats that employed the Fulton recovery system to replace the LCP/LCP( R )/LCPL and IBS combination. These boats were the Landing Craft, Swimmer Reconnaissance (LCSR) and a smaller, lighter version called the LCSR(L). The LCSR boats were not used by UDT/SEAL teams in Viet Nam.

a1.jpg

Thank you aznation for your OUTSTANDING information and links!

Right after I did my post I went out to Critical past website and found this film which may be of interest to others.

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675073846 underwater-demolition-team explosive-packs shore-defenses

I appreciate the help.

All the best,

Mike

You're welcome MECHINF-A15. Glad I could assist you. I took a look at the video on Critical Past website...pretty cool.

Regards,

Matt