USMC number 1 French Foureragere card

stucky151

There are a few items, as collectors, that we end up in possession of that can truley take your breath away. I have been very very fortunate to be the new care taker of a very historical piece. The card pictured belonged to Maj Gen Cmdt John Archer Lejuene. This is card number 1, issued April 14th 1920. I was looking for pictures of him wearing the Fourragere, but have yet to find one.

post-52581-0-99409700-1518906441_thumb.jpeg

post-52581-0-39968100-1518906448_thumb.jpeg

Some doubts about this piece but its iron clad in provenance. Will be keeping this one in the safe for sure. Though Id love to display it!

Glad you have the provenance Stucky! Too many original blank cards floating around out there, have one myself. Provenance is everything with these I should think. Congrats, Kevin

Are the blank ones still signed by the adjutant and inspector? Just curious.

Can't recall. Wouldn't surprise me, very well could have ended up a stack on his desk before being passed off to the typist

The ones I have seen Stucky are not. Completely blank, so authenticity on that signature would certainly help. Not sure if there are any floating around out there with signature but blank other wise. I haven't seen them. I have seen a total of three of the blank ones. I believe Hessian has one in his collection, mine and I have seen one other for sale and again, as far as I remember, all un-signed. I do have an original completed one in my collection, part of a big group with great provenance and there are some minor variations to yours. Specifically the date and the registration number are stamped and not typed on mine. I am out of town at the moment and can't post it at the moment. Kevin

Wouldnt have paid the price I did if I werent sure of its authenticity. Looking at the font type of all the others, they look the same. Since this was the first one, I wouldnt be surprised in seeing variations. The signature on all the others I have seen have been in pen, where this looks like a fountain style pen. I would love to see the card issued to number 2, and then can be more comparable. Since there were so many of these issued, this wouldnt surprise me that number one is very different.

Wouldnt have paid the price I did if I werent sure of its authenticity. Looking at the font type of all the others, they look the same. Since this was the first one, I wouldnt be surprised in seeing variations. The signature on all the others I have seen have been in pen, where this looks like a fountain style pen. I would love to see the card issued to number 2, and then can be more comparable. Since there were so many of these issued, this wouldnt surprise me that number one is very different.

Sounds like you are confident in the provenance and that is all that really matters. I dont disagree that there might be variation amongst these cards and that the first one(s) issued might vary from later ones. For what it is worth, here is the one attributed in my collection, once again part of a much larger grouping that includes tons of documentation so I am confident this one is very legit. I even have his HS diploma! Second card is the un-issued blank one I referred to. For what it is worth. Please keep us posted on any others especailly early ones you might run across to compae. Good luck-Kevin

post-21606-0-58500500-1519075475_thumb.jpg

post-21606-0-20812400-1519075481_thumb.jpg

The family donated everything to the museum when Euginia was working with VMI, most uniforms, medals etc. This card had remianed in the families photo album as she thought nothing much about it. Since she did not want to get rid of the original family photos, the album was never donated or dug through. The collector who obtained it, was looking through the album in 1969 and saw the card and asked her if she would be willing to let it go. That was in 1969, and has been sitting in one gentlemens collection since then. The condition is such that once he recieved the card they placed it in the album and hadnt been removed for almost 50 years. Afger she passed in the 70s and the other passed, the rest of the Generals items went to the wind in the late 80s and 90s.

I am in contact currently with the Marine Museum and the curators who specialize in these cards. Will post more as i formation become available. Will be comparing Lejeunes to Nevilles as they are very close in number.

So far this is proving to be a rather intensive research project but have learned quite a bit. Unfortunately, Nevilles card number is nowhere close to a single digit registration number. These two are in the permanent collection at the Marine Corps Museum. And here is a stack they have of blanks. Quite a bit more than maybe people thought! As for comparison, Nevilles doesnt even have a date registered, nor does his have a rank associated on his card. They are reaching out to find other very early examples of the card and have high hopes for the Lejeune card. MTF

post-52581-0-49639900-1519342963.jpeg

post-52581-0-42972600-1519342997_thumb.jpeg