WW2 Named Schlueter USN?

Screamingeagles101

Screamingeagles101

Hello, picked this helmet up the other day. It is a nice Schlueter swivel bail named to an ENS. C. Malone

My guess is that this is a Navy helmet..?

It has a “31” on the front of it.

I’m thinking the “ENS” stands for Ensign?

Believe it or not, I believe this is my first Schlueter swivel bail.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screamingeagles101

Nothing on the front of the liner.

I tried doing some research on the name but nothing... maybe someone else will have better luck...

stealthytyler

Only 3 results for C Malone in the officer registers that I could find. I would take a look at Chas F Malone. Looks like an officer in naval aviation. Born 1923 and joined 1942. Was LTJG by 1948.

Screamingeagles101

Reminds me of the helmet in this pic

Awesome picture!

Looks it could be my helmet... except for the number on the front

Yes, It is indeed a Firestone

Interesting. So far I've personally handled 3 swivel bail Schlueter helmets with manganese rim material and the seam in the front, and they all had Firestone liners. Just like yours.

I'm starting to think Schlueter almost exclusively made helmets for the navy and the air corps. Or at least a good chunk of helmets coming from Schlueter were issued to these branches.

Of the Schlueters I've handled, 2 had stencils and one was painted blue.

In any case, if you find a late war usaaf/navy helmet, chances are it's a Schlueter. These helmets seem to uncover a lot about how they were organised and issued.

Of course, this could just be coincidental. But what are the odds? I have yet to see a Schlueter with some type of divisional insignia that shows they were used by regular infantry.

Cheers

Screamingeagles101

Interesting. So far I've personally handled 3 swivel bail Schlueter helmets with manganese rim material and the seam in the front, and they all had Firestone liners. Just like yours. 

I'm starting to think Schlueter almost exclusively made helmets for the navy and the air corps. Or at least a good chunk of helmets coming from Schlueter were issued to these branches. 

Of the Schlueters I've handled, 2 had stencils and one was painted blue. 

In any case, if you find a late war usaaf/navy helmet, chances are it's a Schlueter. These helmets seem to uncover a lot about how they were organised and issued. 

Of course, this could just be coincidental. But what are the odds? I have yet to see a Schlueter with some type of divisional insignia that shows they were used by regular infantry. 

Cheers

I agree, almost every Schlueter I’ve come across had something to do with the Navy.

I’m not sure if it’s just me, but I also feel that most of the Mint helmets I happen to come across, turn out to be Schlueter...

For some reason I really like Schlueter helmets. I currently have 3 sitting on one shelf. Two fixed and the swivel.

I have one Schlueter that did belong to a soldier and not Navy, so I guess some were used by infantry

Also, every fixed bail Schlueter I’ve ever owned and or came across had an early ( Unpainted A washers) Liner .... I have one with a Firestone, Westinghouse, and CAPAC

All early unpainted A washers.

Posted Image

Posted Image