Research assistance.. Chemical Warfare Service- Chemical Plant no. 4- Saltville, VA.

Geo3310

Good afternoon,

I am attemtping to research the Chemical Warfare Service Detachment that was stationed in Saltville, VA. circa 1918. Apparently Chemical Plant no. 4 produced Sodium Cyanide. I am originally from the area and would like to put together a uniform display for the local museum. Any info would be greatly appreciated as I have had very little luck with research. I am relatively new to collecting WWI era uniforms and equipment. Thank you very much.

World War I to World War II (1917-1950) Saltville prospered as an industrial community but seemed to reach an optimum population in the period, varying from 2,248 in 1920 to an all-time high of 2,964 in 1930. The First World War brought income to the town. In 1918, the United States government - constructed a plant to produce sodium cyanide in Saltville. As labor was in short supply, the government also established a military base with 400 soldiers to construct and operate the plant. After spending - $2,000,000 on the project, the war ended before its completion and the plant was torn down.

Wow! Thank you so much "aznation". I grew up in the area and never appreciated the history until I left. The scans of the correspondence are especially interesting.

We were always a company town and a lot of the info makes since when you factor in the Olin Corporation connection to chemical production. We even produced Hyadrazine for the Space program at one time.

Would the uniform have been the typical Doughboy style with U.S Collar & Chemical Service discs? Any idea if they would have worn any shoulder insignia/patches?

You're welcome Geo3310.

I'm not an expert on WW1 uniforms but I believe the uniform would look like this (pics obtained from militarybadgecollection.com)

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

You're welcome Geo3310.

I'm not an expert on WW1 uniforms but I believe the uniform would look like this (pics obtained from militarybadgecollection.com)

That is the right uniform, but it would be very much plainer-- no patches other than rank chevron and maybe any earned six-month stateside service stripes. No unit patches were worn in the US as far as I now other than the NY PoE. In warm weather and warm areas the cotton khaki or OD uniform was worn. The service hat, aka "campaign hat" would be worn in lieu of the overseas cap. Collar insignia would be the "U.S." and what branch the soldier to which the soldier belonged.