Leslie Cope, WWII USAAC Camo Artist on Guam

stratasfan

Well, downsizing for a move can sure bring to light some interesting things! For years, I've had these two framed prints by an Ohio artist. They are rather collectible, so we are going to sell them off before the move, as we are overrun with wall art and figured we could offset the move a bit by selling off some stuff. So, we looked the artist up, and I found out that he served in the USAAC during WWII and was a camo artist! Served on Guam, even. I have looked up many vets before, but this is the first camo artist I have come across! So, I had Sis take a photo of the two prints and thought I'd share them! This is what an ex-camo artist ended up doing!

Does anyone know what a camo artist on Guam would actually do?

post-151812-0-45866100-1518725225_thumb.jpg

I haven't been able to find a photo of him anywhere. I did see that he and his father worked at Roseville!

So, what does a camp artist do, in the war like that?

B-29's groups that flew night missions from Guam had the underside of the plane painted black, but that didn't take any talent or skill, just a spray gun. Maybe by the time he went overseas, they didn't really need camouflage artist to work in that capacity. Looks like he had talent.

BKW