2nd Lt William Szabelski - Glider Pilot 78th Troop Carrier Squadron, 435th Troop Carrier Group

jonesy1275

Here’s probably my best Troop Carrier grouping to date. It’s the uniform and artefact grouping for 2nd Lt William J Szabelski, a Glider Pilot from the 78th Troop Carrier Squadron, 435th Troop Carrier Group. 2nd Lt Szabelski would see combat three times – Normandy, Southern France and Holland.

Most significantly for me is that he flew a Horsa Glider on D-Day when the 435th Troop Carrier Group flew the 320th Glider Field Artillery Battalion into Normandy on the evening of 6th June 1944. The 78th Troop Carrier Squadron were tasked to fly 12 Horsa Gliders, taking off from Welford Airfield at 2045 and landing on LZ ‘W’ near Les Forges at 2310.

Szabelski would enlist into the US Army in December 1941. By May 1942 he was enrolled in the glider programme and graduated as a Flight Officer Glider Pilot in March 1943 from South Plains Army Flying School, Lubbock Tx. At some point whilst in the ETO, he was commissioned to the rank of 2nd Lt.

The grouping consists of the following:-

Officers four pocket jacket with Glider Pilots sterling wings manufactured by A.E. Co.
Officers cut down four pocket jacket with Glider Pilots sterling wings
Bancroft flighter officers crusher cap
X5 pairs of officers shirts
X3 pairs of trousers
Civilian made B-15 flight jacket
B-6 leather flight helmet with AN6530 flying goggles
Enlisted mans visor cap
Dog tags (Enlisted, Flight Officer and Officer)
Air Medal
Sterling Glider Pilots wings manufactured by A.E. Co made into a bracelet
Bracelet with the name Bill engraved
Leather name tag and Troop Carrier Command patch taken from his A2 leather flying jacket
CG-4A Load Adjuster for serial 43-40296. Charles Day gas checked his records and this CG-4A was assigned to the 12th AF in Italy. I’m suspecting that this could have been the glider that Szabelski flew into Southern France.
British arm of service stripes. These felt strips are for an unknown award by the British. More research required.

This now my second 78th Troop Carrier Squadron uniform and fourth from the 435th Troop Carrier Group. This summer I am hoping to visit Welford Airfield to display the four uniforms. It will be the first time that the four have been back to Welford since 1945.

post-72146-0-14699100-1518725240_thumb.jpg

The felt British arms of service stripes really intrigues me as cannot find any information about them in the Troop Carrier war diaries.

post-72146-0-92323900-1518725409_thumb.jpg

CG-4A Glider load adjuster with Glider serial number 43-40296. Charles Day has checked his records and this CG-4A was assigned to the 12th AF in Italy. I’m suspecting that this could have been the glider that Szabelski flew into Southern France.

post-72146-0-12601800-1518725469_thumb.jpg

2nd Lt William Szabelski is 5th from right on the top row. He was a Flight Officer when the photograph was taken during the spring of 1944.

post-72146-0-28866600-1518725647_thumb.jpg

Am I the only one to notice German helmets in the pic on post 11?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn’t before you pointed it out :lol: That’s awesome!

Wonderful grouping with some really unusual items. I love how groupings like this can be as idiosyncratic as their original owners. The choices of what to keep are fascinating.

I like the guy with the big head and little helmet.

And the guy with the big head who found a big helmet.

A wonderful group.

doinworkinvans

Great group!!

The British arms of service stripes have been seen on I know at least two other TC uniforms posted on the forum....Lord know how to remember which ones.

They have always intrigued me as well.

Obviously TC is the common denominator

Great group!!

The British arms of service stripes have been seen on I know at least two other TC uniforms posted on the forum....Lord know how to remember which ones.

They have always intrigued me as well.

Obviously TC is the common denominator

The British arm of service stripes has intrigued me ever since I saw a few Troop Carrier jackets namely Glider Pilots with them sewn on. I've gone through a number of IX Troop Carrier Command war diaries but found no information about them. As a research member of the National WWII Glider Pilots Association, my fellow researchers are stumped to the reason they were awarded.

There is mention of them in Vol.2 of Heroes in our Midst that states they were awarded to Glider Pilots who completed British Commando training. As there is no mention in the Troop Carrier war diaries of Glider Pilots going on detached service to any British Commando unit, I do not believe this is true.