Embroidered Para Wing Thoughts

Agreed, and quite worse for wear we see, having been first sewn to a uniform and then removed at one point, and stapled to a display of some sorts as witnessed by the rust marking of the staples, and the tear areas, where it seems when this badge was removed from whatever it was stapled to, the person, rather than popping the staples just tore the thing off causing those tears.

Yeah, yours was no doubt originally sewn to either a fatique shirt/field Jacket, or a Khaki cotton twill shirt. Something that was commonly done with these type of Khaki Twill insignia, both Officers ranks and Branch of Service badges and Qualification and skill badges.

These are post war and to my eye someone got in a hurry and sewed this on backwards in that it is inside out.

You're right it is folded inside out and sewn that way, good eye.

I suppose 'wrong side out sewing' was not unique. The little old ladies that ran the sewing shops around Fort Bragg inverted patches often. Here are a couple of Senior Parachutist wings I have had for many years. I' ll bet they could run a sewing machine in the dark, with one hand, but occasionally they mistakenly turned the edges the wrong way.

post-48217-0-80825500-1518646087_thumb.jpg