15 replies to this topic

#1 TheMinistryOfAviation

TheMinistryOfAviation
  • Members
    • Member ID: 163,868
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:09 AM

Hello All,

I picked this guy up last week at a price too good to pass and wanted to get some opinions on it; if you don't mind taking the time.  It's not named unfortunately., but the jacket and shirt appear to be attributed to a ordnance vet who earned seven campaign stars and an arrowhead.  This is likely supported by the three years worth of overseas service bars. 

The shirt which has an internal gas flap has his primary unit as the 7th US Army and his former unit as the 5th US Army.  Depending on when he transferred, seven campaigns is certainly within the realm of possibility.  The jacket has a primary unit patch of the 63rd Infantry.  It's my believe the vet earned the points necessary to go home and transferred to the 63rd as they were coming home.  This is reinforced by the fact his shirt retains the 7th Army patch.  All shoulder patches and service bars appear sewn by the same hand.

The uniform actually came with two EAME ribbon bars; both with seven stars, but only one with the arrowhead.  Its my believe the one without the arrowhead is his original and he upgraded at some point.

The biggest point of contention for me is on the shirt.  You can see ghosting of chevrons and to me they appear small.  I would say a 1/4" too small.  I worried at first they could have been 1948 pattern chevrons; but as those are 2" wide, they don't match these either.  Any ideas?  And just to add point, The jacket itself doesn't show any sign of having had Chevrons.

Thanks!

Jeremy

Attached Images

• 1-Front.jpg

Edited by TheMinistryOfAviation, 13 February 2018 - 09:15 AM.

#2 TheMinistryOfAviation

TheMinistryOfAviation
  • Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:10 AM

Left Shoulder

Attached Images

• 2-Left.jpg

#3 TheMinistryOfAviation

TheMinistryOfAviation
  • Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:11 AM

Right Shoulder

Attached Images

• 3-Right.jpg

#4 TheMinistryOfAviation

TheMinistryOfAviation
  • Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:11 AM

Ribbons

Attached Images

• 4-Ribbon Bar.jpg

#5 TheMinistryOfAviation

TheMinistryOfAviation
  • Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:12 AM

Both EAMEs

Attached Images

• 6-Extra Ribbon Bar.jpg

#6 TheMinistryOfAviation

TheMinistryOfAviation
  • Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:13 AM

Shirt

Attached Images

• 7-Shirt.jpg

#7 TheMinistryOfAviation

TheMinistryOfAviation
  • Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:13 AM

Shirt II

Attached Images

• 8-Left Shirt.jpg

#8 TheMinistryOfAviation

TheMinistryOfAviation
  • Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:14 AM

Chevron Ghosting

Attached Images

• 10-Chevron.jpg

#9 dan_the_hun84

dan_the_hun84
  • Members
    • Member ID: 52,690
  • 521 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:25 AM

Looks like they where Tec 5 chevrons by size and shape. Also- yeah I agree- was likely in N Africa/Italy/S France- then wound up with the 63rd either for the boat ride home, or for some occupation duty.

I have an Ike thats the opposite- guy was in the 63rd ID (Right shoulder) and occupation duty with the 7th Army (Left) guy was in the 763rd Light Ord Maintenance Company

#10 TheMinistryOfAviation

TheMinistryOfAviation
  • Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:10 PM

Thanks Dan.  I was leaning toward a Tech 5 myself.

I was probably way too long winded in my initial explanation to get much response from people.. I'm mostly concerned with the chevron ghosting being from period chevrons, and not something later (which would throw the whole uniform in question).

-Jeremy

#11 MattS

MattS
  • Members
    • Member ID: 32,676
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:43 AM

I was probably way too long winded in my initial explanation to get much response from people.. I'm mostly concerned with the chevron ghosting being from period chevrons, and not something later (which would throw the whole uniform in question).

I wouldn't worry about any of it, the Ike, shirt, ribbons, and patches are all WW2. The Tech 5 chevrons were probably removed and given to the grand-kids many years after the war or something.

#12 historyfixer

historyfixer
  • Members
    • Member ID: 106,485
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:10 PM

Very Nice IKE I saw it on facebook last night did you find this in DFW? I live in garland and collect mostly 63rd Division.

#13 TheMinistryOfAviation

TheMinistryOfAviation
  • Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 02:21 PM

Very Nice IKE I saw it on facebook last night did you find this in DFW? I live in garland and collect mostly 63rd Division.

Hey that's awesome! Glad the 63rd is getting their due love! Unfortunately it's rather difficult to find things in DFW these days, as I'm sure you know.. this one was sourced out of Minnesota.

#14 Hookemhorns88

Hookemhorns88
  • Members
    • Member ID: 147,204
  • 291 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 02:44 PM

Hey that's awesome! Glad the 63rd is getting their due love! Unfortunately it's rather difficult to find things in DFW these days, as I'm sure you know.. this one was sourced out of Minnesota.

Try sourcing something while living in the Longview area in east Texas.  Talking about slim pickings!

#15 historyfixer

historyfixer
  • Members
    • Member ID: 106,485
  • 124 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:49 PM

TheMinistryOfAviation Minnesota makes since for the 63rd. Very few 63rd guys were came from Texas. Most of the Texas guys were replacements into the 63rd Division from the 36th Division. For the 2nd Battalion 253rd infantry regiment there were only about 25 guys from North Texas. Almost all of my 63rd collection came from the internet. Also Hookemhorns88 picking is harder in DFW when I lived in Salt Lake City there were only like 10 collectors so there was a ton of great stuff to find.

Here is a very small part of my 63rd Collection

http://www.usmilitar...rs-now/?hl=63rd

Edited by historyfixer, 15 February 2018 - 06:50 PM.

#16 TheMinistryOfAviation

TheMinistryOfAviation
  • Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:48 AM

It's probably just dumb luck the vet would have come from the same state as a lot of the 63rd guys.. as I said; I'm fairly certain he was only with the 63rd for the boat ride home.

Either of you, or anyone for that matter, make it out to Canton's First Mondays?  I've always wondered about the possibility of militaria out there, but I've never taken the chance to get out and look.  It seems like it would be a bit overwhelming just to find a little bit of field gear if you're lucky; but I could be wrong!  It could be a literal treasure trove for all I know!

-Jeremy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)