German crate used as a USGI shipping box (9th Infantry vet)

chils123

This is a pretty neat item I found at a local auction today. While the items are long gone, the crate itself is still an interesting, collectible item. And for $47 I couldn't complain, ha!

It looks to be a German crate repurposed as a shipping crate for a USGI's war booty. Not sure what the crate was originally for, but there is a German tag still on the inside. A bit of research has led me to a 1943 dated article mentioning a Captain Alfred Haft being awarded a Silver Star while serving in Tunisia:

Friday, October 29, 1943

SILVER STAR
From the North African theater of
operations comes news that Capt.
Albert J. Haft of Southern Pines was
recently awarded the Silver Star for
gallantry in action in the Tunisian
campaign.

The actual presentation was made
at a ceremony held somewhere in
Nato by Major General Muntor S.
Eddy, commanding general of the
9th Infantry Division. Capt. Haft
was cited for his heroic action in the
face of the enemy during the north
Tunisian campaign. Capt. Haft is the
husband of Mrs. Barbara Nelson
Haft of New Berlin, N. Y.

I'm glad I was able to find a bit of information on the vet! Here's some photos of the crate and a scan of the actual news paper article.

IMG_2433.jpg

IMG_2434.jpg

IMG_2435.jpg

IMG_2436.jpg

IMG_2437.jpg

IMG_2438.jpg

IMG_2439.jpg

download1_2.png

Wow, that is really cool! Too bad the contents are gone but the crate is a souvenir of its own!

Thank you, and I agree! I don't come across things like this too often. I'm just glad I could find out some more info on the vet by searching online. I focus mostly on collecting bring back rifles, but I find these types of crates interesting too. It's neat to see the different types of items GI's thought to bring back. Not everything was a rifle, as I sometimes forget, ha!

According to Google translations, Drallkappen seems to translate to "twist top". A broader search turns up "swirl flaps" which are some form of automotive engine part.