First Helmet - M1917A1

JasonT

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share some photos of a helmet I acquired yesterday, which is the first I've owned, and hopefully find out a little more about it. It was given to me by a very generous veteran collector who works with my wife.

I believe it to be a M1917A1 late 30s to early 1940s based on other photos I gave found in the reference portion of the forum. As you can see in the photos below it still has a lot of the original sand coating/finish and has the original tan leather and metal support liner.

There is some pencil marking on the liner (not legible in photos) that reads what I believe to be "97-35". I'm not sure what that signifies, as I am used to WW2 laundry numbers.

On the helmet itself there is a heat stamp of either '16A' or just '16'. Assuming it's 16A, does this make it an early McCord helmet? Not being a helmet collector, I was wondering if someone could tell me the manufacturer or date of the helmet?

Original chin straps also! Not a bad helmet. Great Pearl Harbor/Philippians/Guam helmet. The straps actually feed through the loops on the steel shell. Thanks for posting it.

BKW

Thanks guys for looking and for the comments!

If like to display it but am wondering what would be best, a wooden stand or one of those Styrofoam mannequin heads? I am thinking the foam chemicals may damage the leather liner, which is already in tough shape in some spots

with a dry rotted liner in fragile condition, it should just be displayed "as is" on a self with some other gear from the era like ammo belt, canteen set , this would look good on shelf or table display, or make a still life display with other items like a repro WW2 Victory posters on the wall with your display.

post-1885-0-40219000-1518324922_thumb.jpg

BOLO, good point on the display, I don't want to have anything pushing against the leather in its fragile condition. I may even look into using a book or plate stand if I don't have the depth on the shelf. Thanks for sending the link and idea on the repro posters. I think that would be a good back drop

BOLO, good point on the display, I don't want to have anything pushing against the leather in its fragile condition. I may even look into using a book or plate stand if I don't have the depth on the shelf. Thanks for sending the link and idea on the repro posters. I think that would be a good back drop

These M1917A1 helmets have a lot of history in them, if only they could speak what they could tell! They protected the heads of thousands of sailors, soldiers, marines and airmen at Pearl Harbor on that December morning in 1941; they gave about the only protection the men and women of the American & Philippine forces had from December through April 1942, falling back from Bataan until only Corregidor flew our nations flag. They adorned the heads of the men on Wake, in the gallant fight of the Marines there. They took the fight back to the enemy on land and sea in the Pacific, from Coral Sea, Midway, to the Aleutians. They guarded our coastline in those very uncertain days early in the war, when we did not yet know to what extent the enemy designs on our mainland was. In short, they are the unsung heroes that served our military so well until they were replaced by the newer M1 helmets that gave more protection. Even then they still soldiered on, helping to train men in the ways of war that would enable them to liberate lands claimed by the Axis powers. Three cheers for the M1917A1 helmet! B)

An absolutely perfect first helmet to have; remember those who wore it and depended on it.

Thanks Blacksmith, I only plan to get one more down the road - a plain M1 to go with my slowly growing Late '44/early '45 ETO display. Just one. Though I'm sure that's what everyone said at one point or another...