Early 1950s USMC Recon patch?

Tonomachi

I have had this reference to a skull & crossbones type generic patch having to do with early recon marines who graduated from one of their amphibious recon schools. It was published in a magazine article back in 1985 (see below). I finally found one that is an exact match for my collection. Is anyone familiar with this patch and this practice of handing out these patches upon graduation of the mentioned course?

post-1389-0-65900700-1518119596.jpg

post-1389-0-73976900-1518119612.jpg

• 2 months later...

I saw the same article back in the mid-80s. I was with 2d Recon Bn in the 70s. I knew there was a tradition of awarding a patch to signify completion of RIP or of ARS. At the time I was there, a Bn patch was awarded for completion of the 3 week RIP. Nothing after ARS. I had been told about the Billy Bones patch and it's description was given as a winged skull and crossed bones. I found the below in a tailor shop on Court St. in J'ville and bought it. As you see, it is chenille construction on felt. IIRC, it was also in that article.

2d Recon Bn Assn. Life Member

Force Recon Assn Member 21XX

Special Forces Assn D-34XX-Life

post-5029-0-33829400-1525095546.jpg

I don't recall if either of these were mentioned/depicted in that article. One is self explanatory, a committee patch from ARS (they usually called it ARC on the left coast) and the "combatant" diver patch (novelty) was a popular logo. The spear indicates aggression. Of course the term "combatant diver" didn't exist then. We attended the Navy 5 week SCUBA course (PC, FL, Coronado, CA PH, HI, Cubi Point, PI) and transitioned to rebreathers back at the parent unit. The patch logo was screened onto OD green t-shirts and sold at shops off base. Patches were also sold there. We also bought the standard blue and gold class t-shirts with the "Navy Divers we dive the world over" design.

Sorry about the rabbit trail!

post-5029-0-93912200-1525097295.jpg

Many thanks for sharing this information with us and photos of the insignia you received which helps us determine what is authentic as there is so much bad stuff out on the collector's market today. You last novelty patch (combatant diver) is interesting as I have seen it mentioned once before in an older ASMIC article where is was describing as a possible UDT insignia.

IDK if the UDTs used that patch/logo. I never saw them use the design. I worked with the Little Creek UDTs some (21 and 22, IIRC.) All of their logos incorporated frogs. Also, they incorporated tridents, not spears. So I believe this to be a purely Recon design. But, I could be wrong, since I have no clue as to the origins of the logo.

To clarify above post: Besides the patch, the only place I saw it was on the left breast of an OD green T-Shirt with the words "Recon Diver" and USMC or U.S. Marine Corps. I don't recall anything on back of the shirt. I had a couple of them, gone for decades now! LOL!

Patchcollector

Interesting stuff Beef.I have the Diver riding a Seahorse patch and always wondered if it was even Military.
I wanted to show you this patch of the diver riding a Shark,not holding anything but pointing as if to guide,or show the way.
It's made in the older style,twill with no plastic backing.Any thoughts on this one?

post-13386-0-75877500-1525126885.jpg

post-13386-0-97793700-1525126893_thumb.jpg

I haven't seen that in patch form, but that is the logo (diver riding shark) that was on the back of the class " Blue and Gold" reversible T-shirts with the words "Navy Divers We Dive the World Over" on back. I'm sure that's where the patch design came from. A way to dump the Navy part.

The seahorse patch is of course a military novelty patch. I had it sewn on an aviator kit bag, as well as the Billy Bones, for several years. People also had them sewed on UDT shorts, MA-1 jackets, G-1 jackets, kit bags, etc.

The only blue and gold that I still have is imprinted with 3d Force Recon Co. logo. The blue and golds are actually navy blue outside with yellow inside, double thickness. They yellow was for emergency signaling.

Patchcollector

Thank you for the info.It's alway great to hear straight from the Vets about the pieces.

Salvage Sailor

I haven't seen that in patch form, but that is the logo (diver riding shark) that was on the back of the class " Blue and Gold" reversible T-shirts with the words "Navy Divers We Dive the World Over" on back. I'm sure that's where the patch design came from. A way to dump the Navy part.

The seahorse patch is of course a military novelty patch. I had it sewn on an aviator kit bag, as well as the Billy Bones, for several years. People also had them sewed on UDT shorts, MA-1 jackets, G-1 jackets, kit bags, etc.

The only blue and gold that I still have is imprinted with 3d Force Recon Co. logo. The blue and golds are actually navy blue outside with yellow inside, double thickness. They yellow was for emergency signaling.

Also see post #11 here for a USN version http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/223824-us-navy-divers-their-related-commands-ars-asr-atf-ata-etc/?p=1780738