1930s General, Who is he?

P-40Warhawk

Anyone know who this Army General (I think that is his rank) is? Probably mid-1930s.

Looks like he's wearing:

LOM, SS, PH

??, ??,, WWI Victory (with one clasp). I can't make out the two medals on the left of the bottom row, and haven't been able to ID who he is. Location Philippines.

who.jpg

Actually I realized I guess his hat isn't for GO due to lack of buillon?; I was so focused on the awards and the color of the hat that I missed that. He is flanked by what appears to be two aides with aide de camp insignia and aiguillette.

kyhistorian01

Actually I realized I guess his hat isn't for GO due to lack of buillon?; I was so focused on the awards and the color of the hat that I missed that. He is flanked by what appears to be two aides with aide de camp insignia and aiguillette.

It appears he is wearing a chocolate officers hat / brown hat of the period. This type of hat would not have bullion. In this time period the Dress Blue and possible the Dress white hat had bullion on the bill but not the tan and chocolate everyday hats. Could be a general.

It appears he is wearing a chocolate officers hat / brown hat of the period. This type of hat would not have bullion. In this time period the Dress Blue and possible the Dress white hat had bullion on the bill but not the tan and chocolate everyday hats. Could be a general.

Correct, no bullion on metallic on OD caps then, only Blues and Whites.

Doug and Ike in the 30s :lol:.

post-34986-0-06409700-1517971463_thumb.jpg

Maj. Gen. Charles D. Herron Hawaii 1930s, in Whites.

post-34986-0-42468100-1517971815_thumb.jpg

Anyone know who this Army General (I think that is his rank) is? Probably mid-1930s.

The lack of branch insignia on his lower lapels would indicate G.O. rank.

The lack of branch insignia on his lower lapels would indicate G.O. rank.

That's what I was thinking too, but then got sidetracked by the hat which threw me into second guessing it a little.

The two medals to the left of the Victory Medal are Spanish Campaign (due to similarity in design, it could possibly be Puerto Rican Occupation)and Philippine Campaign

DSM (not LOM).

Yep, mixed them up while trying to remember what was on there while posting. Should have hit the preview button first to look at it instead of relying on memory.

What I find interesting is that he has a SS & a PH for what I can only assume would have been WWI service, yet he only has one clasp on his Victory medal.

The two medals to the left of the Victory Medal are Spanish Campaign (due to similarity in design, it could possibly be Puerto Rican Occupation)and Philippine Campaign

Excellent! Thank you. I wonder who he is? There is no name on the image (it's out of a photo album).

Here is a composite of the aides(?), the one looks older but I can't see what his rank is.

aides.jpg

I think this might be Major General John H. Hughes commander of the Philippine Department February 1938 – July 1939.

I think you found him. He received a PH for The Spanish American War. SS may have been from then also.

Yes, my undercover operative say's no real problem in posting, and was taken while he was Assistant Chief of Staff of the Army Jul 33 - Apr 37.

Not seeing a ribbon for the Silver Star yet, do see the Purple Heart right! He also was CG Philippine Div. (Jul 37 - Feb 38) before taking over the Phillipe Dept, and retired finally 29 Feb 1940.

post-34986-0-46832100-1518022881_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys! That looks like a match to the same face, wonder what the SS was for?

I'm thinking the photo dates to when he was with the Philippine Division then, I don't have it right in front of me, but most of the photos seemed to be dated 1936-1937.

Here is his list of his war service: Cuba, Spanish-American War (wounded in action), Philippine Insurrection, in France, World War I.

The idea is that Hughes won his "Citation Star" for action in Spanish-American War (as well as his retroactive Purple Heart), Citation Stars as you know were upgraded to the Silver Star Medal, here again, I guess at this date he just didn't put in for his yet, perhaps he wasn't aware he was entitled to it yet???.

Here is the list of medals that were authorized for wear of "Citation Stars" as awarded:

Army Regulation 600-40 specified that the "Citation Star" would be worn above a campaign clasp on the suspension ribbon of the medal and to the wearer's right of the bronze service stars on the service ribbon. Authorized Army Citation Stars may be worn on the following service medals:
• World War I Victory Medal
• Civil War Campaign Medal
• Indian Campaign Medal
• Spanish Campaign Medal
• Philippine Campaign Medal
• China Campaign Medal
• Mexican Service Medal

Believe this is the ribbon we're seeing with the Star on it,

http://www.spanamwar.com/medalsarmyservice.htm

There is another medal, but the colors seem different in his photo right.

http://www.spanamwar.com/medalsarmy.htm

• 1 month later...

Here's his write up, note the people at this site got the graphics wrong, in that they depicted the WW Victory Medal with the Citation star rather on the SAW Campaign Medal.

post-34986-0-78920700-1522543680_thumb.jpg

P-40Warhawk

Thanks! It sure can be tough to find information on some of those interwar guys. Their end of career histories tend to get overshadowed by the WWII GO's.