Vietnam Medal and Pin Grouping Identification

Peyton_Aukland41

Peyton_Aukland41

My Uncle Dan Fry served in the Army in Vietnam. I recently got this group of his items from his daughter and while I know what the medals and ranks are, I do not know what units the pins represent. I would appreciate it if someone could identify the pins and possibly give me information on what he did in Vietnam. Thanks.

post-176066-0-34464700-1517951251_thumb.jpg

From left to right for the unit crests:

94th Engineer Battalion

12th Signal Group

172nd Infantry Brigade

81st Maintenance Battalion

US Army Training Activities

US Army Forces Command

Theater Army Support Command-Europe

2nd General Hospital (Last crest on the bottom right)

I can't make out the motto on the crest with the hay hook, I believe it may be a Quartermaster unit..

Leigh

Peyton_Aukland41

From left to right for the unit crests:

94th Engineer Battalion

12th Signal Group

172nd Infantry Brigade

81st Maintenance Battalion

US Army Training Activities

US Army Forces Command

Theater Army Support Command-Europe

2nd General Hospital (Last crest on the bottom right)

I can't make out the motto on the crest with the hay hook, I believe it may be a Quartermaster unit..

Leigh

Thanks for the info! It says Preparedness-Dependability

You're welcome..

There is such a wide assortment of crests, it would be difficult to determine without more information about what your Uncle did in Vietnam.

Leigh

Without seeing the backs some of those DUI's look postwar to me! I am going to guess these may not be his and that he amassed them over the years!

Peyton_Aukland41

Without seeing the backs some of those DUI's look postwar to me! I am going to guess these may not be his and that he amassed them over the years!

Sadly, he has become a very angry and mean person over the years. Most of my family won't talk to him anymore and my parents won't let me talk to him(i'm 16) so i probably won't ever be able to learn what he really did. Thanks for the help though.

Cobra 6 Actual

The gold and green This Well Defend that Rakkasan187 identified as a US Army Training Activities was commonly worn by Drill Sergeants. The full size version is called a pumpkin because that is what the shape is reminiscent of.

Peyton_Aukland41

The 11th Transportation was the only unit that served in Vietnam. Do you have access to his DD214? If so it would give his MOS.

Sadly, as i stated before, no one in my family talks to him anymore because he is quite rude and bitter. He probably has his DD-214 and even if I asked him I probably wouldn't receive a very nice answer. Thanks for the help though!

Ask your parents if it would be alright to try writing him a letter, express your interest in his service, show your gratitude for his service to our nation and maybe he will respond in a kind way..

Hope you can reach out to him and close the distance that has been caused for whatever reason..

Leigh

I would say before contacting him make sure you know the full story! This has been discussed here many time for different reasons, but some things are best left un-messed with, is there a particular reason your family had a falling out? You dont have to post that here but give it some consideration. Also if he did something maybe not exactly legal or of good nature maybe it is best the items are left without a story. Being a minor especially, maybe it Is best you follow your parents advice and keep your distance, for all we know there may be more to the story then you yourself know or any of us hear know for that matter!