• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dogstar

dogstar
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 176,931
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:16 AM

Hello and glad to be here...I am in process of trying to fabricate a "museum quality" replica of the US Navy Mark IV full pressure suit and its attendant equipment...most particularly the Mark 4 life preserver, the helmet and the suit itself. As many of you may know, the suit was the foundation for the early Mercury space program suits and I am also interested in creating one of those suits next but wanted to start with fabricating this first. I have read with interest a few threads with some great history on these suits but would love to chat with folks that have actual access to these objects as I would love to get details of measurements, materials and actual configuration so that I can choose the right materials and configurations to be faithful to the originals...it would be great if I lived near the Air and Space museum in DC, but I don't (live in the Chicago area)...so, hello and very glad to be here. Feel free to PM me with anything you might feel would be helpful...

thanks

Georgeimage.jpg

#2 tmackie

tmackie
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,845
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 11:49 AM

George....were you ever able to make progress on this project?

#3 dogstar

dogstar
  • New Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 12:29 PM

Hi...yes some but still looking for any assistance I can get...I did get some photos emailed from Air and Space Museum of which many are already online but they are very hi-rez...

why do you ask? Can I help you with anything or is it just curiosity?

#4 tmackie

tmackie
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,845
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 12:43 PM

I am looking for the USAF version of this suit AP-22S-3....which is identical but in Orange. Was considering making one as well so didnt know if you had made progress on suit with patterns etc.

#5 dogstar

dogstar
  • New Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 01:36 PM

Hi...I am still just in the research and planning stages of the suit configuration and details...and are you sure the AP-22S is Orange?

can you post a link to an image of it online?

thanks for jumping in on this project...I appreciate your interest

George

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users